Ford Mustang Mach-E review
Ford's first attempt at a dedicated electric car is a success; the Mustang Mach-E is a practical, fast and technologically advanced SUV
- Decent range
- Great refinement
- Impressive infotainment
- Steering needs work
- Ride feels firm on UK roads
- Can't match Tesla performance
|Model||Range||Wallbox charge time||Rapid charge time|
|Standard Range||273 miles||11hrs (0-100%, 7.4kW)||38mins (10-80%, 115kW)|
|Extended Range||341-372 miles||14hrs (0-100%, 7.4kW)||43mins (10-80%, 150kW)|
The Ford Mustang Mach-E is named after the Blue Oval’s iconic sports car, which has been around since the early 1960s. But aside from the Mustang badge on the nose, there are very few similarities between this fully electric family SUV and the V8-powered Mustangs of old. Regardless, the Mustang Mach-E is Ford's first electric car and it makes a strong first impression.
Two main variants of the Ford Mustang Mach-E are available: Standard Range and Extended Range. Rear-wheel-drive Standard Range models are capable of 273 miles on one charge, while Extended Range versions increase this to an impressive 372 miles thanks to a much larger battery.
The Extended Range model can also be specified with four-wheel drive, although this results in a slightly reduced range figure of 341 miles. Rapid charging is supported at speeds of up to 115kW as standard, or up to 150kW on the larger-battery cars, so the Mustang Mach-E is pretty futureproof in this respect.
To drive, it's quite sporty, if not as neck-snappingly quick as Tesla's fastest offerings. But it does handle well for a large SUV, so Ford's reputation for producing entertaining-to-drive family cars is intact, and a high-performance GT version is now available as well, although this comes at the expense of a middling 310-mile range in the lineup. We’ve reviewed the Ford Mustang Mach-E GT separately.
The Mach-E takes the fight to Tesla inside, too, with a very high-tech interior focused on two large display screens. And practicality hasn't been forgotten; there's plenty of space for occupants front and rear, plus a boot at each end.
That relatively high-end interior for a Ford is matched by an exterior which, to the untrained eye, could belong to any number of luxury-car brands. Enthusiasts will spot the Mustang styling cues in the lights, grille outline and horse badges, but generally this car shares more with the current crop of rakish electric SUVs than any Ford Mustang from the past. However, the Mach-E now outsells the petrol Mustang coupe by eight to one.
Overall, the Mach-E is another strong contender in an area of the electric-car market that's growing rapidly. It seems to offer everything buyers want, with strong headline range figures, show-stopping technology and a bold look to help it stand out on the road. For a more detailed look at the Ford Mustang Mach-E, read on for the rest of our in-depth review...
In This Review
- 1Verdict - currently readingFord's first attempt at a dedicated electric car is a success; the Mustang Mach-E is a practical, fast and technologically advanced SUV
- 2Range, battery & chargingThe Mustang Mach-E has very good range figures regardless of which version you go for, along with the necessary rapid-charging capability to make long-distance trips feasible
- 3Running costs & insuranceCharging and company-car tax costs for the Mustang Mach-E are rock-bottom, but insurance could be bit pricey and warranty coverage is only average
- 4Performance, motor & driveThe Mustang Mach-E will be quick enough for most drivers and handles well for something this size, but the GT performance version is the one you want if you're after driving thrills
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortIt's not the last word in luxury inside, but the Mach-E does get an interesting interior design and plenty of up-to-date on-board technology
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityFront and rear luggage areas, plus a pretty roomy cabin, mean the Mustang Mach-E scores well in this area
- 7Reliability & safety ratingA five-star crash-test rating, coupled with plenty of standard safety kit, put the electric SUV in good stead