Twin test: Tesla Model Y vs Audi Q4 e-tron
We pit two of the hottest premium compact electric SUVs of the year head-to-head to see if relative new kid on the block Tesla can beat heavy hitter Audi
More than two years after the Model Y was first unveiled by CEO Elon Musk, Tesla's more affordable take on the electric SUV has finally made its way to the UK. Our time spent in the zero-emissions family car so far has left us with the impression that it's one of the best models in its class.
However, we came to the same conclusion after we put the Audi Q4 e-tron through its paces. The Audi was even able to top the equally luxurious Mercedes EQA when we pitted them against one another earlier in 2021. A Model Y vs Q4 e-tron match-up was the next logical step, so read on to find out how these very different takes on the premium compact zero-emissions SUV formula stack up...
Audi Q4 e-tron
Pros: Styling, space, ride quality
Cons: Only top-spec models get four-wheel-drive, expensive options, rapid-charging speed
Tesla Model Y
Pros: Performance, practicality, on-board technology
Cons: No seven-seater in UK, less range than equivalent Model 3, firm suspension
As we've mentioned above, both the Audi and Tesla have impressed us for a variety of reasons, from the Q4 e-tron’s comfortable ride and interior space to the Model Y’s stunning performance and equally good practicality. But there can only be one winner. Let's now see which of the two has what it takes to reign supreme in the now highly competitive premium compact electric SUV class...
In This Review
- 1Intro - currently readingWe pit two of the hottest premium compact electric SUVs of the year head-to-head to see if relative new kid on the block Tesla can beat heavy hitter Audi
- 2Range and chargingThe Model Y Long Range falls short of the distance the equivalent Model 3 manages on a charge, but it's efficient and offers great recharging speed
- 3Performance and handlingThe Q4 e-tron has enough 'poke' for everyday driving, but only a handful of electric SUVs on the road come close to matching the Model Y's performance
- 4Space and practicalityThanks to its enormous boot and sizable front trunk, the Model Y offers plenty of cargo space as well as a spacious cabin – but so does the Q4 e-tron
- 5Interior and infotainmentBoth cars’ cabins are packed with the latest technology and have a minimalist design
- 6Running costs and warrantyWhile both cars have hefty price tags, the Model Y’s expected high insurance group rating means the Audi triumphs here
- 7Safety and reliabilityThe Q4 e-tron boasts a five-star Euro NCAP crash-test rating and the Tesla Model 3’s similarly high score is a positive sign of what to expect from the Model Y
- 8Verdict and specificationsThe Model Y takes the crown thanks to its rapid-charging capability, storming performance and vast interior space – however the Q4 e-tron’s styling (inside and out) is sure to win many over