Twin test: Audi Q4 e-tron vs Mercedes EQA
The luxury compact electric SUV segment is hotting up, but will it be the new Audi Q4 e-tron or Mercedes EQA that’s crowned the best in class right now?
If you’re searching for a new electric car, odds are you’ll find yourself looking at one of the plethora of electric SUVs on the market right now. On the more affordable end of the compact SUV spectrum you’ve got the Vauxhall Mokka-e and Kia e-Niro, which we recently pitted against each other. If you’re looking for something more premium, the Ford Mustang Mach-E or Volkswagen ID.4 might be right for you – another of our recent group tests has the answer.
But, if those models don’t offer quite enough luxury appeal, how about the newly launched Audi Q4 e-tron or the Mercedes EQA? Both are brand-new, and both sit on the bottom rung of each manufacturers’ electric lineup. Read on to find out everything you need to know about these two upmarket electric SUVs – and which is our favourite.
Audi Q4 e-tron
Pros: Range compared to EQA, spacious interior, comfortable ride
Cons: Only top-spec models get four-wheel-drive, expensive options list, heavy steering compared to EQA
Pros: Relaxing to drive, interior quality, standard equipment
Cons: Small boot, styling, Audi is more efficient
Both cars offer everything you would expect from an SUV wearing either a Mercedes or Audi badge, including premium-feeling interiors, refinement and lots of tech. But is that where the similarities between the two newest electric SUVs from these heavy-hitting German brands end? Read on to find out more…
In This Review
- 1Intro - currently readingThe luxury compact electric SUV segment is hotting up, but will it be the new Audi Q4 e-tron or Mercedes EQA that’s crowned the best in class right now?
- 2Range and chargingWhile the EQA offers a better predicted range, the Audi’s impressive efficiency means it’s likely to go further on a charge
- 3Performance and handlingBoth the EQA and Q4 e-tron are equally matched when it comes to performance, but a flaw in the Mercedes gave the Audi an edge here
- 4Space and practicalityThe EQA may feel spacious in its own right, but it can’t match the vast expanse of the Q4 e-tron’s cabin or the size of its boot
- 5Interior and infotainmentWe can’t knock either car on interior quality or infotainment, as both feature well equipped cabin’s and some of the best infotainment systems on the market
- 6Running costs and warrantyWhile both cars are great when it comes to low company-car tax; the Audi’s lower insurance group rating and better efficiency make it the winner in this category
- 7Safety and reliabilityThe EQA’s five-star Euro NCAP rating inherited from the B-Class and the equally high rating from the Q4 e-tron’s sister cars from VW and Skoda are all positives for both models
- 8Verdict and specificationsWhile the EQA has it merits, the Q4 e-tron takes the spot in this test thanks to its spacious interior, styling, greater efficiency and range