Kia Niro MPG & CO2 emissions
The Kia Niro is more frugal than most diesel SUVs, but it's a long way off the standards set by plug-in hybrids
|MPG (combined)||MPG (high)||MPG (low)||CO2 emissions|
The Kia Niro isn't quite as impressive as the super-frugal Toyota Prius or Toyota Corolla, and the Hyundai Kona Hybrid is also better for emissions. But, thanks to its hybrid drivetrain, the Niro is still a cleaner and more efficient option than many diesel SUVs available today.
Kia Niro MPG
Efficiency – as expressed in official figures at least – is dependent on alloy-wheel size, with the 2 claiming 59mpg and the 3 and 4 models managing 54 and 53mpg respectively. The good news is that our colleagues at Auto Express managed to get around 60mpg out of a pre-facelift Niro hybrid (which used the same powertrain), so it's likely that you'll manage to match or even better the official figures in real-world use.
Although the Niro has an electric-only driving mode that works up to speeds of 70mph, the small batteries mean you can only cover a maximum of three miles like this, even if driving very gently. So, unlike owners of the plug-in Niro, you don’t have the prospect of petrol-free, zero-emissions daily commuting.
The Niro's CO2 levels are quite dependent on wheel size, too, and while at 110 to 120g/km they don't attract excessively high company-car and road tax, they're not as good as those of plug-in hybrid rivals.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe Kia Niro is an SUV-style hybrid that’s more practical than a Toyota Prius, if less efficient
- 2MPG & CO2 emissions - currently readingThe Kia Niro is more frugal than most diesel SUVs, but it's a long way off the standards set by plug-in hybrids
- 3Running costsA Toyota Prius may be a little more economical, but the Niro hybrid still impresses
- 4Engines, drive & performanceIt’s not a thrill-a-minute, but the Kia Niro offers competent family motoring
- 5Interior & comfortThe Niro’s interior is a nice place to be, especially in top-spec trim when you get full digital dials as well as great infotainment
- 6Practicality & boot spacePlenty of boot space and a roomy interior add to the Kia Niro’s family-friendly appeal
- 7Reliability & safetyYou can’t beat a seven-year/100,000-mile warranty and the Kia Niro has lots of safety technology