Vauxhall Corsa-e interior, dashboard & comfort
The electric Corsa's dashboard is a little drab, while scratchy plastics on the doors are not befitting of this car's price tag
Inside the Corsa-e, you’d never know you were driving an electric car. It all feels reassuringly familiar, with a logical dashboard design and space for all your odds and ends. High-spec Elite Nav cars get an impressive 10-inch touchscreen display, but the overall quality of the materials and design is less impressive, especially when you consider the electric Corsa's fairly high price. On the plus side, there's plenty of clever on-board technology, including driver-assistance features such as traffic-sign recognition, blind-spot monitoring and lane-keeping assistance.
Vauxhall Corsa-e dashboard
The inside of the latest Corsa is functional but uninspiring. It’s a sea of black plastic, centred around a large touchscreen display with myriad connectivity options. At least the separate climate controls are easy to operate.
There’s a set of fully digital dials, and while they don’t stretch the entire width of the instrument binnacle as they do in some high-end BMWs or Audis, it’s less noticeable than you might expect. You can use them to present the information you want right in front of your eyes, framed by the chunky leather-wrapped steering wheel.
Equipment, options & accessories
There are three trim levels to choose from: SE Nav Premium, SRi Nav Premium and Elite Nav Premium – plus those two different on-board charging options. The entry-level car features essentials such as a seven-inch sat-nav system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, plus climate control, alloy wheels and LED lights.
SRi Nav – new to the Corsa-e for the 2021 model year, having previously been limited to petrol and diesel models – brings 17-inch alloys, sports seats, tinted rear windows, and sports pedals.
Elite Nav brings luxuries like that aforementioned 10-inch screen, heated front seats and a heated steering wheel, Matrix lighting, a panoramic rear-view camera and keyless entry. However, it comes in at almost double the cost of a basic petrol Corsa.
Infotainment, apps & sat nav
Every version gets a touchscreen sat nav, but you’ll need to upgrade to the Elite Nav to swap the standard seven-inch display for the glorious 10-inch version. It’s not worth it for this alone, but factoring in some of the luxuries listed above may make the jump easier to justify.
The infotainment system itself is packed with features, but it can feel a bit slow to respond. Navigating via the standard Apple CarPlay and Android Auto doesn’t make any difference, either, although the ability to project your phone’s screen to your car’s display does add some welcome functionality.
The Corsa, as with many electric cars, is available with a downloadable app that allows you to control charging times, as well as monitor battery status and remote activation of the air-conditioning system.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe evergreen Vauxhall Corsa has been given a new lease of life with a pure-electric powertrain, making it one of the most affordable ways into electric motoring
- 2Range, battery & chargingThe ability to charge at up to 100kW from public rapid charging points is standard across the Corsa-e range, and home charging times are reasonable, too
- 3Running costs & insuranceIf you can stomach the high list price, the Vauxhall Corsa-e can be an incredibly cost-effective small car to run
- 4Electric motor, drive & performanceThe Corsa-e benefits from its Peugeot-Citroen underpinnings, which make it feel agile but easy to drive
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfort - currently readingThe electric Corsa's dashboard is a little drab, while scratchy plastics on the doors are not befitting of this car's price tag
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityThe Corsa-e's boot is a good size, but it misses out on the petrol car's underfloor storage, which leaves nowhere to put the charging cables
- 7Reliability & safety ratingDon't be put off by the Corsa-e's four-star Euro NCAP crash-test rating; the car comes loaded with safety kit