Citroen e-C4 Boot boot space & seating
That interesting shape hasn't had an undue impact on the e-C4's practicality
Citroen is keen for the e-C4 to be a viable family-car option, so particular attention has been paid to its interior and to practicality. Its design isn't entirely practicality-first, however – rear headroom isn't perfect and the car's spoiler ruins rearward visibility. Overall though, the e-C4 is a practical family car.
Citroen e-C4 interior space, storage & comfort
There's plenty of space in the e-C4 for a family; the back seats are spacious enough, even if the sloping roofline cuts into headroom for taller occupants. Legroom is ample both in the front and back.
Citroen is known for filling its cabins with plenty of storage and the e-C4 carries on the tradition, with a large central cubby, large doorbins, cupholders beneath a roller-hatch and a large central armrest compartment.
The e-C4's 380-litre boot is the same size as you'll find in petrol-powered C4 models, and just five litres down on that of the Volkswagen ID.3. It's practically designed with a boot floor that lines up perfectly when the rear seats are folded – perfect for loading and unloading larger items.
The e-C4 rides higher than some of its competitors, however, so it'll take a bit more effort to get heavier items in. A dedicated storage area is provided under the boot floor for cable storage, which is a nice touch that's sometimes overlooked on cars of this type.
In This Review
- 1VerdictCitroen's first proper go at an electric family car is a successful one, offering good all-round ability with a unique character
- 2Range, battery & chargingThe e-C4's relative lack of range versus some rivals is countered by good charging capability
- 3Running costs & insuranceThe Citroen e-C4 should be a very cheap car to run, much like other electric cars of this size
- 4Performance, motor & driveThe e-C4 comfortable and has sufficient performance, but we'd prefer a more controlled driving experience
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortPractical, comfortable and with decent infotainment, the Citroen e-C4 offers plenty to like inside
- 6Boot space, seating & practicality - currently readingThat interesting shape hasn't had an undue impact on the e-C4's practicality
- 7Reliability & safety ratingThere's not much solid reliability data to go on yet, but the Citroen e-C4's proven underpinnings bode well
- 8Living with itWe put Citroen's electric family hatchback through its paces in the real world with a long-term test