Volvo S60 Recharge T8 hybrid reliability & safety
Reliability and safety are two areas where the Volvo S60 Recharge T8 is particularly strong
|Euro NCAP||Adult protection||Child protection||Safety assist|
Very impressive Euro NCAP crash-test results, proven plug-in hybrid technology and decent warranty contribute to excellent long-term peace of mind for Volvo S60 Recharge T8 owners.
Volvo S60 Recharge T8 hybrid reliability & problems
Although it's a pretty complicated system, the Volvo T8 hybrid petrol-electric setup has been in use for a good while now, appearing in most of the brand's vehicles, and no big problems have surfaced.
The S60 T8 mirrored the results of its V60 estate counterpart in independent Euro NCAP crash-testing, coming away with the maximum five-star overall results, as well as a near-perfect 96% score for adult occupant protection, allied to 84% for child protection and a 76% rating for its safety assistance systems.
As standard, those systems include a 'City Safety' system, which can detect pedestrians, cyclists and large animals in the road, and assist with braking or steering if there's a risk of hitting them. There are also systems that'll help to avoid or mitigate a crash with a vehicle coming the other direction, or the car running off the road.
Driver alertness is monitored, with the car warning you if it detects you're in danger of nodding off. There's also lane-keeping assistance, road-sign recognition, a full complement of airbags, electronic stability control and ISOFIX child-seat anchor points.
Optionally, you can add something called the 'Intellisafe Pro' package, which adds an adaptive cruise control function, so the car will maintain a safe distance from vehicles in front, speeding up or slowing down with traffic automatically. The package also includes blind-spot and rear cross-traffic monitoring, as well as a rear collision mitigation system.
In This Review
- 1VerdictExcellent company-car running costs count in the Volvo S60 Recharge T8's favour, but it's not as sporty to drive as its looks suggest
- 2Range, MPG, CO2 & chargingThe Volvo S60 Recharge T8 has an impressive electric range, as well as excellent on-paper CO2 and MPG figures
- 3Running costsInsurance and servicing won't be the cheapest, but company-car drivers enjoy a low tax rate with the Volvo S60 Recharge T8
- 4Engines, drive & performanceThe Volvo S60 Recharge T8 looks sporty and is plenty powerful, but its handling isn't quite up to scratch
- 5Interior & comfortVolvo's recent strong run of form with interior design continues with the S60 Recharge T8
- 6Practicality & boot spaceAs the Volvo S60 Recharge T8 is a saloon, ultimate practicality is limited, but it still acquits itself well compared to rivals
- 7Reliability & safety - currently readingReliability and safety are two areas where the Volvo S60 Recharge T8 is particularly strong