Volvo S60 Recharge T8 hybrid performance, top speed, engine
The Volvo S60 Recharge T8 looks sporty and is plenty powerful, but its handling isn't quite up to scratch
|Model||0-62mph||Top speed||Driven wheels||Power|
|Recharge T8 R-Design||4.6s||112mph||Four||448bhp|
|Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered||4.6s||112mph||Four||448bhp|
The T8 powertrain is only offered in two of the sportiest S60 trim levels – R-Design and Polestar Engineered. In fact, it's the only engine you can get in the latter. It's suitably powerful, putting out 448bhp in both R-Design and Polestar Engineered form, but the overall driving experience doesn't live up the car's aggressive looks.
Volvo S60 Recharge T8 hybrid 0-62mph, top speed and acceleration
Headline figures here are 0-62mph in 4.6 seconds for both versions of the S60 Recharge T8. That's on par with some pretty fearsome hot hatchbacks in terms of sheer pace. Top speed is electronically limited to 112mph in both models in an effort to boost safety.
Takeoff from a standing start is rapid, then, but you may occasionally be disappointed with how the S60 T8 responds to a prod of the accelerator when already rolling along; there can sometimes be a momentary hesitation while the engine, electric motor and transmission decide exactly how to respond.
This is where the S60 T8's sporty image is undermined somewhat. While it's unquestionably fast, it can't match the involvement or excitement of rear-wheel-drive rivals like the BMW 330e. There's not much feedback through the steering and the stiff sports suspension can lead to the car becoming unsettled on a bumpy road. The more softly sprung S90 can sometimes cover ground quicker and more comfortably for this reason.
In This Review
- 1VerdictExcellent company-car running costs count in the Volvo S60 Recharge T8's favour, but it's not as sporty to drive as its looks suggest
- 2Range, MPG, CO2 & chargingThe Volvo S60 Recharge T8 has an impressive electric range, as well as excellent on-paper CO2 and MPG figures
- 3Running costs & insuranceInsurance and servicing won't be the cheapest, but company-car drivers enjoy a low tax rate with the Volvo S60 Recharge T8
- 4Performance, engine & drive - currently readingThe Volvo S60 Recharge T8 looks sporty and is plenty powerful, but its handling isn't quite up to scratch
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortVolvo's recent strong run of form with interior design continues with the S60 Recharge T8
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityAs the Volvo S60 Recharge T8 is a saloon, ultimate practicality is limited, but it still acquits itself well compared to rivals
- 7Reliability & safety ratingReliability and safety are two areas where the Volvo S60 Recharge T8 is particularly strong
- 8Living with itHow do the Volvo S60 plug-in hybrid's eye-opening fuel-economy stats stack up in the real world? We ran one for six months to find out...