Twin test: Mazda MX-30 vs Kia Soul EV
The Mazda MX-30 is one of the most stylish electric cars on sale – but is it a better bet than the family-focused Kia Soul EV?
Electric SUVs are now seemingly the default choice, both for manufacturers taking their first step into electrification and first-time buyers looking to make the switch from petrol or diesel power. Kia has been building these for a while, with the e-Niro and first-generation Soul EV selling well before many rivals managed to get in on the action.
Mazda is the latest maker to dip its toe into the water; the MX-30 is the Japanese firm's first electric car and is designed to impress. Its focus is on driving pleasure and eco-friendliness, with a keen-handling chassis and a number of sustainable design choices – most notably a rather small battery.
Mazda MX-30 GT Sport Tech
Pros: Nice design, quality build, great to drive
Cons: Short range, not terribly practical, pricey
Kia Soul EV First Edition
Pros: Practical, longer range, more efficient
Cons: Not as good to drive, bland interior, smaller boot
In This Review
- 1Intro - currently readingThe Mazda MX-30 is one of the most stylish electric cars on sale – but is it a better bet than the family-focused Kia Soul EV?
- 2Range & chargingKia has the edge when it comes to range and charging; the Mazda is more akin to smaller electric city cars here
- 3Performance & handlingMazda's knack for making fun-to-drive cars continues with the MX-30, but the Kia Soul EV is faster
- 4Space & practicalityThe Kia is the more practical choice, despite being down on boot space compared to the Mazda
- 5Interior & infotainmentThe MX-30 has the nicer interior here, but Kia's infotainment system is better to use
- 6Running costs & warrantyNeither model will be an issue for company-car users, but the Kia takes the prize for efficiency
- 7Safety & reliabilityBoth manufacturers have a good reputation for reliability and safety, so we've no worries here
- 8Verdict and specificationsThe Mazda MX-30 is desirable, but the Kia Soul EV is a much more sensible choice overall