Volkswagen e-Crafter electric motor, drive & performance
Electric motor gives swift initial acceleration and the Volkswagen e-Crafter is satisfying to drive
Like its diesel-powered Volkswagen stablemates, the e-Crafter is a good van to drive, and its electric powertrain is well suited to the swift, frantic and stop-start nature of busy urban traffic.
Volkswagen e-Crafter electric motor, 0-62mph and acceleration
The e-Crafter uses much the same electric hardware as the Volkswagen e-Golf electric family hatchback. So there's a 35.8kWh battery and a 134bhp electric motor with 290Nm of torque. That's available instantly when you hit the accelerator, so the e-Crafter accelerates rapidly from a standstill. It runs out of steam fairly quickly, though, topping out at an electronically limited 56mph.
When you lift off the accelerator, the e-Crafter slows down gradually like a manual-gearbox van in gear, with the brake lights activating to warn other road users that you're decelerating. Unlike some other electric vehicles, there are no different driving modes or levels of braking power, so you need to give the accelerator an occasional prod to keep moving in free-flowing traffic.
Having heavy batteries placed low down in the body benefits the e-Crafter's handling. Even when unladen, it feels planted and stable on the road, and surprisingly involving to drive for a large van.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe Volkswagen e-Crafter is an impressive addition to the growing large electric van class – but like rivals, it's set to be very expensive
- 2Range, battery & chargingIntended urban delivery role means the Volkswagen e-Crafter's driving range is relatively short
- 3Running costsThe Volkswagen e-Crafter's rock-bottom everyday running costs have to be balanced against a high initial investment
- 4Electric motor, drive & performance - currently readingElectric motor gives swift initial acceleration and the Volkswagen e-Crafter is satisfying to drive
- 5Interior & comfortHigh-quality, spacious Volkswagen e-Crafter interior makes for a great working environment
- 6Practicality & load spaceThe Volkswagen e-Crafter has exactly the same cargo capacity as the diesel Crafter
- 7Reliability & safetyThe Volkswagen e-Crafter features advanced safety systems and has already been tested in the field