Volkswagen e-Crafter reliability & safety
The Volkswagen e-Crafter features advanced safety systems and has already been tested in the field
Reliability is vital for commercial-vehicle operators, and the long-term prospects for electric vans looks good. They should be inherently more reliable than diesel vans due to having significantly fewer moving parts, and maintenance bills should be lower as a result.
Volkswagen e-Crafter reliability & problems
Although the e-Crafter is a brand-new model, its electric powertrain technology has been proven in the Volkswagen e-Golf hatchback, which has been on sale for several years now.
The e-Crafter has also been on test with 25 companies in the UK, Sweden, the Netherlands and Germany, generating positive feedback from users. There's also the added reassurance of Volkswagen's eight-year battery guarantee.
Vans aren't always at the cutting edge when it comes to safety technology, but the e-Crafter bucks this trend by including post-collision braking and crosswind assistance systems, as well as front and rear-view cameras, backed up by a 16-sensor parking-assistance system to help avoid minor bumps and scrapes while manoeuvring in tight spaces.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe Volkswagen e-Crafter is an impressive addition to the growing large electric van class – but like rivals, it's set to be very expensive
- 2Range, battery & chargingIntended urban delivery role means the Volkswagen e-Crafter's driving range is relatively short
- 3Running costsThe Volkswagen e-Crafter's rock-bottom everyday running costs have to be balanced against a high initial investment
- 4Electric motor, drive & performanceElectric motor gives swift initial acceleration and the Volkswagen e-Crafter is satisfying to drive
- 5Interior & comfortHigh-quality, spacious Volkswagen e-Crafter interior makes for a great working environment
- 6Practicality & load spaceThe Volkswagen e-Crafter has exactly the same cargo capacity as the diesel Crafter
- 7Reliability & safety - currently readingThe Volkswagen e-Crafter features advanced safety systems and has already been tested in the field