Toyota Prius+ (2012-2020) reliability & safety
A five-year warranty shows confidence in the Toyota Prius+
The Toyota Prius+ has a wide range of safety kit and it should be painlessly reliable to own – Toyota has an enviable reputation for reliability and solid build.
Toyota Prius+ reliability & problems
You might think the Prius+ has a relatively complicated hybrid engine, but there has only been one recall, affecting vehicles built from May 2013 until May 2014.
To give you even more peace of mind, Toyota has one of the best reliability records in the business. The company was rated well above average in our sister title Auto Express' 2020 Driver Power owner satisfaction survey, coming sixth out of 30 manufacturers.
The Prius+ itself has never featured in the survey, but the third-generation Prius was revealed as one of the Top 10 most reliable used cars in the 2018 survey, which gives even more reassurance to potential buyers about how reliable the hybrid technology is.
The Toyota Prius+ hasn’t been crash-tested by Euro NCAP, but the standard Prius on which it’s based has. This scored a five-star rating in 2009, gaining an 88% score for adult occupant protection and 82% for child occupant protection. An 86% score for active safety equipment was impressive too.
There’s no criticising the safety kit fitted as standard to the Prius+. Driver, passenger, front side, curtain and driver’s knee airbags are fitted to all models, as is hill-hold control and Toyota’s Safety Sense systems. These include autonomous emergency braking, adaptive cruise control, lane-departure warning, automatic dipping headlights and traffic-sign recognition.
In This Review
- 1VerdictIf you want a seven-seater hybrid MPV, the Toyota Prius+ is one of your few option, but it's now only available secondhand
- 2MPG & CO2 emissionsThe Toyota Prius+ isn’t especially economical, but it works best if you do lots of short journeys around town
- 3Running costsThe Toyota Prius+ can work out exceptionally cheap to run – as long as you drive it in the right way
- 4Engines, drive & performanceThe Toyota Prius+ is easy to drive around town, and still has enough performance for the motorway
- 5Interior & comfortThe Toyota Prius+ is spacious, if not terribly exciting
- 6Practicality & boot spaceA comfortable and spacious interior means the Toyota Prius+ can cope with family trips
- 7Reliability & safety - currently readingA five-year warranty shows confidence in the Toyota Prius+