MG ZS EV performance, motor & drive
The MG ZS EV doesn't offer a thrilling drive, but it should do more than enough to satisfy typical family-car buyers
|0-62mph||Top speed||Driven wheels||Power|
Keen drivers with memories of MG sports cars of old are unlikely to be queueing up to buy the ZS EV, but then they're not really the car's target market. It's perfectly competent around town, even if the ride is perhaps a little lumpy for some tastes.
MG ZS EV 0-62mph, top speed and acceleration
The updated ZS EV uses a single electric motor that produces 154bhp and 280Nm of torque to drive the front wheels. The zero-emissions SUV can sprint from 0-62mph in 8.4 seconds, although the performance from 0-30mph is more impressive – and arguably more relevant in urban and suburban driving. The car's top speed is just 108mph.
There are three driving modes to choose from in the ZS EV: Eco, Normal and Sport. Even in Eco mode, the ZS EV has enough punch for town driving and more, while Normal makes throttle inputs sharper and more reactive. The Sport mode however doesn’t unleash a hidden sporty side to the ZS EV.
You also get three switchable regenerative braking modes in the ZS EV, which can be toggled through via the KERS switch; the strongest of the trio isn’t quite resistive enough to enable one-pedal driving.
The ZS EV is best suited to those who want a car to get them from A to B with little fuss. It gets the job done, and many will be happy with how the soft suspension is able to deal with bumps and the decent level of refinement it offers. Hop on the motorway and the electric SUV is comfortable and quiet, though not the most serene EV on sale.
However, the ZS EV can feel slightly wayward at times, with a bit too much body lean. The steering also lacks keel and there isn’t an impressive amount of grip. One of the biggest bugbears is the lack of reach adjustment in the steering wheel and the completely flat seat bases, which may make it hard for people to find their ideal driving position and get comfortable behind the wheel.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe updated MG ZS EV is a well equipped and practical small electric family car, with the new Long Range version offering impressive range at an affordable price
- 2Range, battery & chargingWhile the new Long Range version of the MG ZS has an impressive 273-mile range that trumps many of its rivals’, the same cannot be said for the MG’s rapid charging capabilities
- 3Running costs & insuranceRunning costs for private buyers will be very low, and upcoming tax changes will make the MG ZS EV extremely attractive as a company car
- 4Performance, motor & drive - currently readingThe MG ZS EV doesn't offer a thrilling drive, but it should do more than enough to satisfy typical family-car buyers
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortThe MG ZS EV is great value for money, offering plenty of kit regardless of which trim you go for, with the updated model featuring an improved infotainment system
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityThe MG ZS EV is comfortable and roomy SUV, that will do well as a family car
- 7Reliability & safety ratingAs with all electric cars, reliability should be strong, and the electric ZS has received a strong safety score from the Euro NCAP crash safety tests
- 8Owner reviewLondon teacher Malcolm Smith shares his experience of first-time electric-car ownership with an MG ZS EV