MG ZS EV review: boot space, seating & practicality
The MG ZS EV is comfortable and roomy SUV, that will do well as a family car
|Length||Width||Height||Boot volume (seats up/down)|
The ZS EV's mini-SUV shape means you get a good amount of space In a conveniently compact footprint; there's plenty of room in the back seats for two kids, although the driving position could be better.
MG ZS EV interior space, storage & comfort
The ZS has lost no interior space in the transition from petrol to electric power, which is to say it's still very spacious inside. There's plenty of room in the back seats, which are also very light and airy if you go for the higher-spec Trophy and Trophy Connect models, which feature a big glass roof.
One potential bugbear, though, is that the steering wheel only adjusts upwards and downwards, but not backwards and forwards for reach, and the seat bases are completely flat. Depending on your shape and size, you may struggle to find an ideal driving position.
Overall, space is excellent, front and rear, with plenty of knee, head and legroom for all occupants. The ZS is quiet inside, too, although there are quieter electric cars.
With the rear seats in place, the ZS EV actually has more boot space than its petrol-engined counterpart: 470 litres versus 448. The ZS EV also compares favourably with electric-car rivals in this department: the Niro EV offers just five litres of extra boot space, while both the electric Vauxhall Mokka and Hyundai Kona offer around 300 litres of luggage capacity.
It's a well shaped boot, too, with a dual-height floor allowing you to choose between a flat surface or maximum capacity, and there's dedicated cable storage hidden under the floor. You can also fold the rear seats down, giving you 1,100 litres of cargo space to play with.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe MG ZS EV is a well equipped and practical small electric family car, with the new Long Range version offering impressive range at an affordable price
- 2Range, battery & chargingWhile the Long Range version of the ZS EV has an impressive 273-mile range that trumps many rivals, its charging speeds aren't as impressive
- 3Running costs & insuranceRunning costs for private buyers will be very low, and upcoming tax changes will make the MG ZS EV extremely attractive as a company car
- 4Performance, motor & driveThe MG ZS EV doesn't offer a thrilling drive, but it should do more than enough to satisfy typical family-car buyers
- 5Interior, dashboard & infotainmentThe MG ZS EV is great value for money, offering plenty of kit regardless of which trim level you go for
- 6Boot space, seating & practicality - currently readingThe MG ZS EV is comfortable and roomy SUV, that will do well as a family car
- 7Reliability & safety ratingAs with all electric cars, reliability should be strong, plus the ZS scored well in Euro NCAP crash safety tests
- 8Owner reviewLondon teacher Malcolm Smith shares his experience of first-time electric-car ownership with an MG ZS EV