MG ZS EV practicality & boot space
The MG ZS EV is comfortable, roomy, and promises to be a very decent family car
|Length||Width||Height||Boot volume (seats up)|
The ZS EV's mini-SUV shape means you get a good amount of space In a conveniently compact footprint; there's plenty of room in the back seats for two kids, although the driving position could be better.
MG ZS EV interior space, storage & comfort
The ZS has lost no interior space in the transition from petrol to electric power, which is to say it's still very spacious inside. There's plenty of room in the back seats, which are also very light and airy if you go for the Exclusive model with its big glass roof.
One potential bugbear, though, is that the steering wheel only adjusts upwards and downwards, but not backwards and forwards for reach, and we'd like the seat to drop lower. Depending on your shape and size, you may struggle to find an ideal driving position.
Overall, space is excellent, front and rear, with plenty of knee, head and legroom for all occupants. The ZS is quiet inside, too, although there are quieter electric cars.
Motor whine is well suppressed, but there's a lot of tyre and wind noise at higher speeds, while suspension thump is quite noticeable around town.
With the rear seats in place, the ZS EV actually has more boot space than its petrol-engined counterpart: 470 litres versus 448. The ZS EV also compares favourably with electric-car rivals in this department: it's about a match for the Kia e-Niro's luggage capacity and will hold more than a Nissan Leaf.
It's a well shaped boot, too, with a dual-height floor allowing you to choose between a flat surface or maximum capacity, and there's dedicated cable storage hidden under the floor.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe MG ZS EV is a well equipped and practical small family car that offers a very affordable route into zero-emissions motoring
- 2Range, battery & chargingThe MG ZS EV isn't a long-range champion, but it should be more than sufficient for most families' weekly motoring
- 3Running costsRunning costs for private buyers will be very low, and upcoming tax changes will make the MG ZS EV extremely attractive as a company car
- 4Electric motor, drive & performanceThe MG ZS EV doesn't offer a thrilling drive, but it should do more than enough to satisfy typical family buyers
- 5Interior & comfortThe MG ZS EV is great value for money, offering plenty of kit regardless of which trim you go for
- 6Practicality & boot space - currently readingThe MG ZS EV is comfortable, roomy, and promises to be a very decent family car
- 7Reliability & safetyAs with all electric cars, reliability should be strong, and the electric ZS has received a strong safety score
- 8Owner reviewLondon teacher Malcolm Smith shares his experience of first-time electric-car ownership with an MG ZS EV