MG ZS EV interior, dashboard & comfort
The MG ZS EV is great value for money, offering plenty of kit regardless of which trim level you go for
The ZS EV's interior won't blow you away with radical design or superior material quality, but it has a smart-looking dashboard and there's lots of equipment on offer for the money – including most of the connectivity and infotainment kit demanded by the typical buyer these days.
MG ZS EV dashboard
Sitting in the driving seat, it's clear where MG has saved money producing the ZS EV; with some hard and scratchy plastics in evidence, particularly in the doors. The steering wheel also lacks reach adjustment - you can only move it up and down. All the screens and switches are laid out in simple and clear fashion, though, and overall it feels up there with most rivals for clean design and ease of use.
Equipment, options & accessories
Both the standard and long-range versions are available in three trims: SE, Trophy and Trophy Connect. Standard equipment on the SE includes LED headlights, adaptive cruise control, keyless entry, vehicle-to-load charging, a 360-degree parking camera and a 10.1-inch central touchscreen.
Trophy adds a panoramic sunroof, ‘leather-style’ upholstery, roof rails, heated front seats, a power-adjustable driver’s seat and wireless phone charging. Trophy Connect gets all of that, plus additional live services on the infotainment, including weather, traffic and Amazon Prime.
All new ZS EVs also feature a suite of driver assistance systems called ‘MG Pilot’, which includes active emergency braking with pedestrian and bicycle detection, as well as lane-keeping assistance, lane-departure warning, traffic-jam assist, an intelligent speed limiter and high-beam assist. On top of that, Trophy and Trophy Connect specs add rear cross-traffic alert and blind-spot monitoring with lane-changing assistance.
Infotainment, apps & sat nav
The updated ZS EV features a 10.1-inch central infotainment touchscreen, regardless of which trim level you got for. It’s an improvement over the eight-inch unit in the pre-facelift model, because the menus are logical enough, and it’s sharp and bright, but It could react a bit quicker to inputs. You do get Apple CarPlay and Android Auto as standard though, but choosing the Trophy Connect model adds live traffic data and weather information, as well as Amazon music.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe updated MG ZS EV is a well equipped and practical small electric family car, with the Long Range version offering impressive range for an affordable price
- 2Range, battery & chargingWhile the Long Range version of the ZS EV has an impressive 273-mile range that trumps many rivals, its charging speeds aren't as impressive
- 3Running costs & insuranceRunning costs for private buyers will be very low, and upcoming tax changes will make the MG ZS EV extremely attractive as a company car
- 4Performance, motor & driveThe MG ZS EV doesn't offer a thrilling drive, but it should do more than enough to satisfy typical family-car buyers
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfort - currently readingThe MG ZS EV is great value for money, offering plenty of kit regardless of which trim level you go for
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityThe MG ZS EV is comfortable and roomy SUV, that will do well as a family car
- 7Reliability & safety ratingAs with all electric cars, reliability should be strong, plus the ZS scored well in Euro NCAP crash safety tests
- 8Owner reviewLondon teacher Malcolm Smith shares his experience of first-time electric-car ownership with an MG ZS EV