MG ZS EV running costs
Running costs for private buyers will be very low, and upcoming tax changes will make the MG ZS EV extremely attractive as a company car
|Insurance group||Warranty||Service interval||2021/22 company-car tax cost (20%/40%)|
|22||Seven years / 80,000 miles||TBC||From £57 / £114|
Nothing about the ZS EV makes it expensive to own: electricity is cheaper than petrol, road tax is zero for the time being, company-car tax is low (and will be zero in the next financial year) and even servicing will be less expensive than for the petrol equivalent.
Simply put, the ZS EV will be one of cheapest-to-run family SUVs you can buy.
MG ZS EV insurance group
The ZS EV's insurance group has been confirmed as 22, but while the petrol variant only falls into groups 10-14, the ZS should be among the most affordable electric cars to insure on the market.
MG's warranty cover is very impressive, matching Kia's seven-year duration and covering both the batteries and the car. Its mileage limit of 80,000 is not quite as high as Kia's 100,000, but electric-car drivers are less likely to cover high mileages, so the MG's cover should be very appealing to many buyers for the long-term peace of mind it offers.
MG offers service plans on its electric cars from as little as £6 per month, with repayments spread over two to five years. The service plans cover periodic maintenance, safety inspections and 12 months' AA roadside assistance.
As with all zero-emissions cars, the ZS EV doesn't attract any road tax. That may change in future years as the number of electric cars on the road goes up, but for now it's one less bill to worry about. Electric cars also enjoy only 1% Benefit-in-Kind tax during the 2021-22 financial year, with the rate rising to just 2% for 2022/23 and the following two financial years.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe MG ZS EV is a well equipped and practical small electric family car that offers a very affordable route into zero-emissions motoring
- 2Range, battery & chargingThe MG ZS EV isn't a long-range champion, but it should be more than sufficient for most families' weekly motoring
- 3Running costs - currently readingRunning costs for private buyers will be very low, and upcoming tax changes will make the MG ZS EV extremely attractive as a company car
- 4Electric motor, drive & performanceThe MG ZS EV doesn't offer a thrilling drive, but it should do more than enough to satisfy typical family buyers
- 5Interior & comfortThe MG ZS EV is great value for money, offering plenty of kit regardless of which trim you go for
- 6Practicality & boot spaceThe MG ZS EV is comfortable, roomy, and promises to be a very decent family car
- 7Reliability & safetyAs with all electric cars, reliability should be strong, and the electric ZS has received a strong safety score
- 8Owner reviewLondon teacher Malcolm Smith shares his experience of first-time electric-car ownership with an MG ZS EV