MG ZS EV review: range, battery & charging
While the Long Range version of the ZS EV has an impressive 273-mile range that trumps many rivals, its charging speeds aren't as impressive
|Model||Range||Battery size||Wallbox charge time||Fast charge time|
|Standard Range||198 miles||51kWh||8hrs (0-100%, 7.4kW)||38mins (10-80%, 76kW)|
|Long Range||273 miles||72.6kWh||10hrs 30mins (0-100%, 7.4kW)||42mins (10-80%, 76kW)|
The ZS EV is available in both Standard Range and Long Range forms, with the entry-level model getting a 51kWh battery that's good for a range of 198 miles. The Long Range boasts a larger 72.6kWh unit that allows the zero-emissions SUV to cover up to 273 miles on a charge in ideal conditions.
MG ZS EV range
The original ZS EV that launched in 2019 had a 44.5kWh battery that allowed for a range of 163 miles. In 2022, MG introduced new battery sizes to the EV line-up, with the Long Range version capable of up to 273 miles on a full charge – a figure we found was easy to come close to during our time testing the car.
When we picked our test car up, it had 98% charge and showed a predicted range of 267 miles, which rose to 280 miles when switched into Eco mode. Over 127 miles of motorways, B-roads and city streets, the ZS EV Long Range averaged 3.7 miles per kWh, which translates to a real-world range of around 252 miles.
The ZS EV has a maximum charging speed of 76kW, which is less than the 100kW both the Peugeot e-2008 and Hyundai Kona Electric can reach. Still, topping up the 51kWh battery in the base model from 10-80% will take 38 minutes, or 42 minutes if you go for the Long Range model with its larger battery. Fully recharging the Standard Range and Long Range using a 7.4kW wallbox takes eight and 10-and-a-half hours respectively.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe MG ZS EV is a well equipped and practical small electric family car, with the new Long Range version offering impressive range at an affordable price
- 2Range, battery & charging - currently readingWhile the Long Range version of the ZS EV has an impressive 273-mile range that trumps many rivals, its charging speeds aren't as impressive
- 3Running costs & insuranceRunning costs for private buyers will be very low, and upcoming tax changes will make the MG ZS EV extremely attractive as a company car
- 4Performance, motor & driveThe MG ZS EV doesn't offer a thrilling drive, but it should do more than enough to satisfy typical family-car buyers
- 5Interior, dashboard & infotainmentThe MG ZS EV is great value for money, offering plenty of kit regardless of which trim level you go for
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityThe MG ZS EV is comfortable and roomy SUV, that will do well as a family car
- 7Reliability & safety ratingAs with all electric cars, reliability should be strong, plus the ZS scored well in Euro NCAP crash safety tests
- 8Owner reviewLondon teacher Malcolm Smith shares his experience of first-time electric-car ownership with an MG ZS EV