Jeep Renegade 4xe plug-in hybrid interior, dashboard & comfort
The Renegade is a comfortable small SUV with good infotainment, but its interior feels a little plasticky
It's fair to say the Jeep Renegade is a bit of a mixed bag inside. Standard equipment levels are generous, there's lots of space and it's a comfortable SUV to travel in. However, while the Renegade's chunky exterior styling has aged well, the same can't quite be said of its interior; it doesn't feel as modern as those of some rivals. There's no arguing with the space on offer, however – there's room for four adults to stretch out.
Jeep Renegade 4xe dashboard
Although it's not the most modern interior design around, the Renegade's dashboard is laid out well enough, with a centrally mounted 8.4-inch touchscreen infotainment display that's snappy in use, if not the best-looking system around. An easy-to-read seven-inch screen between the dials features to help the driver keep track of the car's hybrid functions.
Elsewhere, Jeep has used harder plastics throughout the cabin, which does affect the perceived quality of the interior. It's likely to put up with family life as a result, but the Renegade doesn't feel as well put together as an equivalent Kia Niro PHEV or MINI Countryman.
Equipment, options & accessories
Upland cars get the 8.4-inch infotainment system as standard, plus adaptive cruise control, sat-nav, LED lights and 17-inch alloys. Trailhawk adds Android Auto, a digital dash, tinted windows and rugged-looking skid plates. The S range-topper comes with 19-inch alloys, a Sport mode, front parking sensors, automatic climate control and a leather steering wheel.
Infotainment, apps & sat nav
The Renegade's 8.4-inch infotainment screen works well and boasts a number of desirable connectivity features. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto feature alongside sat-nav and voice command functionality. Jeep's Uconnect services are also standard, allowing for the control and monitoring of various car functions via a dedicated smartphone app. The system can also be used to provide telematics to insurance providers.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe Jeep Renegade 4xe combines plug-in hybrid efficiency with real off-road ability
- 2MPG, CO2 & chargingThe Jeep Renegade hybrid's figures are respectable, but some rivals beat it on paper
- 3Running costs & insuranceThe Renegade 4xe follows the plug-in hybrid formula: cheaper to fuel and tax, slightly more expensive to insure
- 4Performance, engine & driveIt's far from being the most engaging SUV on the road, but few cars in its class can match the Renegade 4xe when the tarmac ends
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfort - currently readingThe Renegade is a comfortable small SUV with good infotainment, but its interior feels a little plasticky
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityThere's lots of room for passengers to get comfortable in the Renegade, but only an average amount of boot space
- 7Reliability & safety ratingA low Euro NCAP score disappoints, but the Jeep should be fairly reliable