Jeep Renegade 4xe plug-in hybrid interior, dashboard & comfort
The Renegade is a comfortable small SUV with good infotainment, but its interior feels a little plasticky
It's fair to say the Jeep Renegade is a bit of a mixed bag inside. While the Renegade's chunky exterior styling has aged well, the same can't be said of its interior; it doesn't feel as modern as its rivals’.
Standard equipment levels are okay, but things could be more generous in terms of the amount of space the Jeep offers inside.
Jeep Renegade 4xe dashboard
We appreciate that many of the dashboard controls remain as chunky buttons and dials, but the arrangement could be better. For example, the audio controls are in the same area as the air-con system, while the hybrid mode buttons are relegated to where they could find spare space down by the off-road mode selector. You may learn your way around it, but it ought be more thoughtfully laid out.
Fortunately, the centrally mounted 8.4-inch touchscreen infotainment display responds snappily to inputs, while an easy-to-read seven-inch screen between the dials helps the driver keep track of the car's hybrid functions.
Elsewhere, there are hard plastics throughout the cabin, which may be easy to clean mud from but undermine the interior's premium feel. It's likely to put up with family life as a result, but the Renegade feels less well put together than an equivalent Kia Niro PHEV or MINI Countryman.
Equipment, options & accessories
Entry-level Limited trim has an 8.4-inch infotainment system, adaptive cruise, automatic lights and wipers and 17-inch alloy wheels. Upland models and above have regular cruise control, but get full LED headlights and handy front and rear parking sensors. Range-topping Trailhawk adds some off-road specific bumpers and other off-road goodies such as skid plates to protect vulnerable mechanicals underneath.
Infotainment, apps & sat nav
The Renegade's 8.4-inch infotainment screen works well and has Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone connectivity as standard: sat-nav is optional. Jeep's Uconnect services are also standard, allowing for controlling and monitoring various car functions via a dedicated smartphone app. The system can also be used to provide telematics to insurance providers.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe Jeep Renegade 4xe combines plug-in hybrid efficiency with real off-road ability
- 2MPG, CO2 & chargingThe Jeep Renegade hybrid's figures are respectable, but some rivals beat it on paper
- 3Running costs & insuranceThe Renegade 4xe follows the plug-in hybrid formula: cheaper to fuel and tax, slightly more expensive to insure
- 4Performance, engine & driveIt's far from being the most engaging SUV on the road, but few cars in its class can match the Renegade 4xe when the tarmac ends
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfort - currently readingThe Renegade is a comfortable small SUV with good infotainment, but its interior feels a little plasticky
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityThere's lots of room for passengers to get comfortable in the Renegade, but only an average amount of boot space
- 7Reliability & safety ratingA low Euro NCAP score disappoints, but the Jeep should be fairly reliable