Jeep Renegade 4xe plug-in hybrid reliability & safety rating
A low Euro NCAP score disappoints, but the Jeep should be fairly reliable
|Euro NCAP||Adult protection||Child protection||Safety assist|
|3 stars (2019)||82%||84%||58%|
The Jeep Renegade has been around for a few years, but it has yet to sell in big enough numbers to feature in our Driver Power owner satisfaction survey. The next best indicator is the 31st-place finish for parent firm Fiat (the Renegade is based on the Fiat 500X's platform) in the 2023 survey. Not a good result, and only one place ahead of MG, which sits flat bottom.
Jeep Renegade 4xe reliability & problems
The Renegade did not feature in our most recent Driver Power survey, nor has the plug-in hybrid version been on sale long enough to uncover any known issues. The Renegade does share plenty of Fiat parts, though that’s not a great sign – as mentioned above, the brand finished 31st out of 32 manufacturers in the most recent 2023 Driver Power results.
The Renegade was awarded a disappointing three-star Euro NCAP safety rating in 2019, with particularly poor results in the pedestrian and safety assist categories; adult and child occupant protection was rated at 82% and 84% respectively.
The 4xe may address this, however, thanks to a good list of available safety systems. Forward collision warning, lane-departure warning, intelligent speed assist and traffic-sign recognition all feature, along with front and rear parking sensors and LED headlights. A Jeep-first driver-drowsiness detection system is also included.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe Jeep Renegade 4xe combines plug-in hybrid efficiency with real off-road ability
- 2MPG, CO2 & chargingThe Jeep Renegade hybrid's figures are respectable, but some rivals beat it on paper
- 3Running costs & insuranceThe Renegade 4xe follows the plug-in hybrid formula: cheaper to fuel and tax, slightly more expensive to insure
- 4Performance, engine & driveIt's far from being the most engaging SUV on the road, but few cars in its class can match the Renegade 4xe when the tarmac ends
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortThe Renegade is a comfortable small SUV with good infotainment, but its interior feels a little plasticky
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityThere's lots of room for passengers to get comfortable in the Renegade, but only an average amount of boot space
- 7Reliability & safety rating - currently readingA low Euro NCAP score disappoints, but the Jeep should be fairly reliable