Jeep Renegade 4xe plug-in hybrid reliability & safety rating
A low Euro NCAP score disappoints, but the Jeep should be fairly reliable
|Euro NCAP||Adult protection||Child protection||Safety assist|
|3 stars (2019)||82%||84%||58%|
The Jeep Renegade has been around for a few years now but hasn't sold in big enough numbers recently to feature in our Driver Power owner satisfaction survey. The next best indicator is the 23rd-place finish for parent firm Fiat in the 2020 survey, out of 30 manufacturers.
Jeep Renegade 4xe reliability & problems
The Renegade did not feature in our most recent Driver Power survey, nor has the plug-in hybrid version of the car been on sale long enough to uncover any issues. The Renegade does share plenty of Fiat parts, however, which is no bad thing judging by that brand's 13.8% average share of owners with faults in the most recent Driver Power results.
The Renegade was awarded a disappointing three-star safety rating in 2019, with particularly poor results in the pedestrian and safety assist categories; adult and child occupant protection was rated at 82% and 84% respectively.
The 4xe may address this, however, thanks to a good list of available safety systems. Forward collision warning, lane-departure warning, intelligent speed assist and traffic sign recognition all feature, along with front and rear parking sensors and LED headlights. A Jeep-first driver drowsiness detection system is also included.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe Jeep Renegade 4xe is the brand's first plug-in hybrid, combining the benefits of electrification with Jeep's trademark off-road prowess
- 2MPG, CO2 & chargingThe Jeep Renegade hybrid's figures are respectable, but some rivals beat it on paper
- 3Running costs & insuranceThe Renegade 4xe follows the plug-in hybrid formula: cheaper to fuel and tax, slightly more expensive to insure
- 4Performance, engine & driveIt's far from being the most engaging SUV on the road, but few cars in its class can match the Renegade 4xe when the tarmac ends
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortThe Renegade is a comfortable small SUV with good infotainment, but its interior feels a little plasticky
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityLots of room for passengers to get comfortable, but only average boot space
- 7Reliability & safety rating - currently readingA low Euro NCAP score disappoints, but the Jeep should be fairly reliable