Jeep Renegade 4xe plug-in hybrid range, MPG, CO2 & charging
The Jeep Renegade hybrid's figures are respectable, but some rivals beat it on paper
|Fuel economy||CO2 emissions||Electric range||Wallbox charge time|
|128-134mpg||49-53g/km||26 miles||c.2hrs (0-100%, 7.4kW)|
Plug-in hybrid SUVs are chosen primarily for their low CO2 figures, strong fuel economy and pure-electric range – so it's good news that the Jeep Renegade 4xe generally delivers well on all of these aspects. Official figures come close to those of its nearest rivals, but the more road-biased Kia Niro PHEV is still better on paper, boasting 26 miles' claimed range, 49-53g/km of CO2 and up to 134mpg fuel economy.
It seems that the Jeep's boxier styling and commitment to four-wheel drive have had an impact in this department, but real-world differences in fuel economy and electric range are yet to be assessed. Either way, getting as close as possible to the Jeep's official figures will depend heavily on judicious use of the accelerator pedal and a fully topped-up battery.
Jeep Renegade 4xe plug-in hybrid range, MPG & CO2 emissions
Emissions and economy sit at between 49 and 53g/km of CO2 and 128 to 134mpg – a little behind the best of the Renegade's competition. Pure-electric range is a claimed 26 miles and the Renegade can travel at speeds of up to 81mph in electric mode before the engine needs to help out.
Jeep claims a full charge from a 7.4kW wallbox will take less than two hours, while a 2.3kW charger will see the battery charge up in five hours. No official figure for charging from a three-pin socket has been provided, but expect this to have to take place overnight. The car also has regenerative braking, which can be set to 'Intense' mode; this maximises on-the-move charging and increases retardation when you lift off the throttle.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe Jeep Renegade 4xe combines plug-in hybrid efficiency with real off-road ability
- 2MPG, CO2 & charging - currently readingThe Jeep Renegade hybrid's figures are respectable, but some rivals beat it on paper
- 3Running costs & insuranceThe Renegade 4xe follows the plug-in hybrid formula: cheaper to fuel and tax, slightly more expensive to insure
- 4Performance, engine & driveIt's far from being the most engaging SUV on the road, but few cars in its class can match the Renegade 4xe when the tarmac ends
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortThe Renegade is a comfortable small SUV with good infotainment, but its interior feels a little plasticky
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityThere's lots of room for passengers to get comfortable in the Renegade, but only an average amount of boot space
- 7Reliability & safety ratingA low Euro NCAP score disappoints, but the Jeep should be fairly reliable