Audi A8 hybrid running costs & insurance
It's a relatively efficient plug-in hybrid, but the Audi A8 TFSI e is still an expensive car to buy, service and insure
|Insurance groups||Warranty||Service interval||Annual company-car tax cost (20%/40%)|
|50||3yrs / 60,000 miles||2yrs / 19,000 miles||From £2,079 / £4,158|
The A8 hybrid wears its eco-friendly credentials on its sleeve, but you can't expect any big Audi to be cheap to run. As with most large cars, the A8 occupies the upper end of the insurance spectrum and has high servicing costs. However, low emissions mean it should prove a (relatively) shrewd company-car choice thanks to the plug-in A8 attracting just a 12% Benefit-in-Kind (BiK) tax rate until at least April 2024.
Audi A8 hybrid insurance group
Audi’s three-year/60,000-mile warranty is fairly standard for the class, but can’t quite match those of BMW and Mercedes, whose three-year warranties aren't mileage-limited.
The A8 hybrid requires a service every 19,000 miles or two years, whichever comes first. For context, the BMW 7 Series comes with a recommended 19,000-mile/two-year interval, while Mercedes asks that the S-Class be serviced every 15,500 miles or annually.
In years two to six of ownership you’ll pay £335 a year on top of the standard £145 road tax (VED) rate for alternative-fuel vehicles, so £480 annually in total. That’s because the A8 easily breaks the £40,000 barrier that incurs the 'premium' surcharge.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe flagship Audi A8 60 TFSI e is a great showcase for how well suited plug-in hybrid power is to luxury limousines
- 2Range, MPG, CO2 & chargingThe Audi A8 TFSI e competes strongly with its closest rivals when it comes to fuel-efficiency, range and charging speed
- 3Running costs & insurance - currently readingIt's a relatively efficient plug-in hybrid, but the Audi A8 TFSI e is still an expensive car to buy, service and insure
- 4Performance, engine & driveIt’s easy to love the Audi A8 TFSI e's effortless performance and sublime refinement, especially when cruising around on electric power
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortPlush materials, top-tier technology and acres of space make the Audi A8 TFSI e one of the most luxurious saloons around
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityAs one of the largest cars in Audi’s range, the A8 TFSI e majors on space, if not ultimate versatility
- 7Reliability & safety ratingThe Audi A8 TFSI e is still too new for us to assess its long-term reliability, but it should be very safe