Where can I buy hydrogen and where is my nearest hydrogen filling station?
A guide to where you can find UK hydrogen fuel stations for filling up a hydrogen fuel-cell car
Furthermore, the only emissions from the tailpipe are water, and if the hydrogen is created using 100% renewable sources, it’s entirely sustainable. But while the technology exists to convert cars to hydrogen, the refuelling infrastructure required is still in its infancy.
There are only two currently available in the UK: the Toyota Mirai saloon and the Hyundai NEXO SUV, while at the 2019 Frankfurt Motor Show, BMW showed an X5 with a hydrogen fuel cell that it says won’t be available to buy until 2025. A second-generation Toyota Mirai arrives in 2021.
Where can I find a hydrogen refuelling station and how much does it cost?
According to UK H2 Mobility, there are currently 14 hydrogen stations in the UK. Five of these are located within the M25, with others in the Southeast and Midlands. There are only two hydrogen refuelling points in Wales, one in the north of England, two in Scotland and none in Northern Ireland.
A kilogramme of hydrogen costs around £10 in the UK. As a guide, the Mirai’s fuel tank holds five kilogrammes, so it isn’t that much cheaper at the moment to use hydrogen compared to petrol or diesel – and it’s a lot more expensive than recharging an electric car.
The full list of hydrogen refuelling stations in the UK
- HyFive 2, Rainham, Essex (RM13 8EU)
- Sainsbury's, Hendon, London (NW9 6JX)
- Hatton Cross, London (TW6 2GE)
- HyFive 1, Teddington, Surrey (TW11 0LY)
- HyFive 3, M25 Cobham Services, Surrey (KT11 3JS)
- M40 Beaconsfield Services, Buckinghamshire (HP9 2SE)
- Honda Manufacturing, Swindon, Wiltshire (SN3 4QS)
- University of South Wales, Glyntaff, Pontypridd, Wales (CF37 4BD)
- University of South Wales, Bagran, Port Talbot, Wales (SA12 7AX)
- Coventry University, West Midlands (CV1 2HG)
- University of Birmingham, West Midlands (B15 2FG)
- ITM Power, Rotherham, South Yorkshire (S60 5WG
- Aberdeen Council, BOC Hydrogen Refuelling, Powis Terrace, City of Aberdeen (AB25 3PY)
- Aberdeen Hydrogen Centre, Langdykes Road, City of Aberdeen (AB12 3FT)
How do I fill up a hydrogen car?
Hydrogen cars are as easy to fill as a petrol or diesel. It takes around five minutes to fill a tank. The pumps are similar to those you at a conventional fuel station, and you plug the nozzle into your car in the same way.
Best plug-in hybrid SUVs 2021
Best electric SUVs 2021
Longest range electric cars 2021