Volkswagen e-Golf (2014-2019) practicality & boot space
The Volkswagen e-Golf is almost as versatile and practical as mainstream Golf models
|Length||Width||Height||Boot volume (seats up)|
The Golf is a class leader for interior packaging and the electric version demands few meaningful compromises. Passenger room is unaffected, but the boot in the electric version is a little smaller than normal, and you can’t use the car to tow a caravan.
Volkswagen e-Golf interior space, storage & comfort
The roomy Golf interior is a key selling point for mainstream versions, and it’s just as true of the e-Golf. With the electric motor replacing the engine under the bonnet and the batteries stashed beneath the boot, the conversion to electric power doesn’t affect interior space at all.
It's roomy for front and rear-seat passengers, with plenty of headroom and legroom all round, but the size of the back seat means it'll be tight for three adults. There’s also a large central transmission tunnel that pinches all the footroom and makes life awkward for the middle passenger.
The Golf's interior is practical in other respects, too, with decent door bins and a sizeable glovebox ensuring there’s plenty of space to store oddments and drinks.
While the standard Golf boot measures 380 litres, in the e-Golf capacity is limited to 341 litres. The location of the batteries beneath the boot floor also means you don’t get the standard model’s double floor, so there’s no well for an optional space-saver spare wheel.
However, the load space is easy to access through a wide-opening tailgate, and it’s easy to lower the split-folding rear seats if you need to load big items. Do that, and the total available space goes up to 1,231 litres.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe Volkswagen e-Golf offers all the practicality of Volkswagen's five-door hatchback and is almost as good to drive, too
- 2Range, battery & chargingThe Volkswagen e-Golf has a big battery that provides a reassuringly long driving range
- 3Running costsThe Volkswagen e-Golf is expensive to buy compared to some key rivals, but classy finish and comprehensive equipment help to make up for it
- 4Electric motor, drive & performanceExtra battery weight dulls the e-Golf’s handling, but it’s still a creditable performer compared to rivals
- 5Interior & comfortThe Volkswagen e-Golf shares all the interior comforts and quality of its mainstream siblings
- 6Practicality & boot space - currently readingThe Volkswagen e-Golf is almost as versatile and practical as mainstream Golf models
- 7Reliability & safetyVolkswagen build quality always impresses and the e-Golf is no exception in this regard. It should be very safe, too