Toyota Yaris Hybrid reliability & safety
It has yet to be officially tested in either areas, but we've got a good feeling about the latest Toyota Yaris' dependability and strong list of safety kit
This latest Yaris has yet to be crash-tested by Euro NCAP, but its platform is shared with other Toyota cars that have performed well in its evaluations. Similarly, while the Yaris comes from tried-and-tested stock and is backed by Toyota's famous reputation for reliability, we won't know the full story until the car has been on sale for some time.
Toyota Yaris Hybrid reliability & problems
While the latest Toyota Yaris hasn't featured in the Driver Power customer satisfaction survey, the previous model achieved a 43rd-place finish out of 100 cars in 2020, with an impressively low average fault rate of just 5.7%. We'd expect the latest car to follow suit in the reliability stakes.
Toyota itself finished sixth out of 30 brands, with an overall average fault share for all its models of 9.6% – another reassuringly low number. The latest Yaris is yet to prove itself, but we feel safe in assuming it'll remain one of the most reliable small cars on the market.
There's no Euro NCAP crash-test score to compare the Yaris against its rivals with just yet, but the car is available with a decent array of active safety and driver-assistance features. Even entry-level Icon cars get a reversing camera, automatic emergency braking, road-sign recognition, adaptive cruise control and automatic headlights.
Top-spec Excel and Launch Edition cars get blind-spot monitoring and rear-cross traffic alert, but it's good news that the cheapest version covers off most of the essentials – and a few systems that cheaper rivals will leave for the options list or higher trims.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe 2020 Yaris Hybrid is a major step forward from its predecessor and should be more of a worry for its rivals
- 2MPG & CO2 emissionsToyota is one of few manufacturers to offer a true hybrid supermini; the Yaris' focus on efficiency is impressive
- 3Running costsLow CO2 emissions, great warranty and top reliability potential bode well for the Toyota Yaris
- 4Engines, drive & performanceWhile a Ford Fiesta is more fun, the Toyota Yaris feels far better to drive than the car it replaced
- 5Interior & comfortIt's not the most exciting, but the Yaris' interior is comfortable, well built and packed with standard equipment
- 6Practicality & boot spaceSmall yet well packaged, the Toyota Yaris balances compactness with decent practicality
- 7Reliability & safety - currently readingIt has yet to be officially tested in either areas, but we've got a good feeling about the latest Toyota Yaris' dependability and strong list of safety kit