Toyota Yaris Hybrid reliability & safety rating
The Toyota Yaris is still fairly new but we expect it to be highly reliable, plus it has loads of safety kit as standard
|Euro NCAP||Adult protection||Child protection||Safety assist|
|5 stars (2020)||86%||81%||85%|
The Toyota Yaris has a reputation for being a reliable small car and the latest version performed well across the board in the most recent Driver Power survey of owners. At this early stage, it looks likely to be just as dependable as ever, plus it has strong safety credentials thanks to a five-star Euro NCAP score.
Toyota Yaris Hybrid reliability & problems
The newest version of the Toyota Yaris made its Driver Power debut in a strong 21st place out of the top 75 models rated in 2021. It only dropped one place in 2022. This is higher than the previous version, which managed a 43rd-place finish out of 100 in 2020. The new model's score for reliability and build quality was especially good, and it was also rated highly for its engine and gearbox, low running costs and value for money. Toyota has always been known for reliability and the new model should follow that trend.
The overall fault rate for all Toyota models was 16.2% in the poll, and the brand scored highly for the ownership experience in general. If you’re looking for a reliable small hybrid car, the Yaris is likely to be it, even if we can’t say conclusively just yet.
The Yaris was crash-tested by Euro NCAP in 2020 and achieved a five-star rating, with a high score for safety assist. This was because even entry-level Icon cars get a reversing camera, automatic emergency braking, road-sign recognition, adaptive cruise control and automatic headlights. Higher-spec cars also come with blind-spot monitoring and rear-cross traffic alert. All this is really impressive to see on a small car.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe latest Yaris Hybrid is a major step forward from its predecessor and should be more of a worry for its rivals
- 2MPG & CO2 emissionsToyota is one of only a few manufacturers to offer a true hybrid supermini; the Yaris' focus on efficiency is impressive
- 3Running costs & insuranceLow CO2 emissions, great warranty and top reliability potential bode well for the Toyota Yaris
- 4Performance, engine & driveWhile a Ford Fiesta is more fun, the Toyota Yaris feels far better to drive than the car it replaced
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortIt's not the most exciting, but the Yaris' interior is comfortable, well built and packed with standard equipment
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalitySmall yet well packaged, the Toyota Yaris balances compactness with decent practicality
- 7Reliability & safety rating - currently readingThe Toyota Yaris is still fairly new but we expect it to be highly reliable, plus it has loads of safety kit as standard