Toyota Prius reliability & safety
The Toyota Prius packs plenty of standard safety technology, which means it’ll be safe, dependable and secure family transport
|Euro NCAP rating||Adult protection rating||Child protection rating||Safety assist rating|
Toyota Prius reliability & problems
Given this is the fourth-generation Toyota Prius, the Japanese manufacturer has extensive experience when it comes to the electrified element of the engine tech. That means over more than 20 years of development, the car and its electronics have been ultra-reliable, as you’d expect from a Toyota.
Our sister title Auto Express ranked Toyota Prius as the 16th best car to own in its most recent Driver Power owner survey, while the brand overall ranked 6th on the list of best manufacturers for 2020. Those are very strong results indeed and should give buyers confidence with this facelifted model.
The Toyota Prius’s standard safety kit and clever platform mean it’ll help prevent a collision, but if the worst should happen it’ll be safe in a crash, too.
All cars get seven airbags, collision warning with pedestrian detection and autonomous braking, lane-departure alert, adaptive cruise control and a reversing camera fitted as standard, which helped the Prius achieve a full five-star Euro NCAP safety rating.
If you go for a Business Edition model, you also get blind-spot monitoring, while Business Edition+ adds front and rear parking sensors.
In This Review
- 1VerdictA mid-life facelift has given the Toyota Prius a revised look, while an all-wheel-drive variant joins the line-up
- 2MPG & CO2 emissionsThe Toyota Prius returns excellent efficiency for a conventional hybrid car, making it very cheap to run
- 3Running costsThe fourth-generation Toyota Prius offers exceedingly low running costs with a hybrid powertrain that maximises efficiency
- 4Engines, drive & performanceThe Toyota Prius has acceptable performance and safe, secure handling, but don't expect an exciting drive
- 5Interior & comfortThe Toyota Prius is comfortable and has a spacious interior, but the infotainment could be better
- 6Practicality & boot spaceA big boot, roomy interior and good visibility mean the Toyota Prius has huge practicality to match its efficiency
- 7Reliability & safety - currently readingThe Toyota Prius packs plenty of standard safety technology, which means it’ll be safe, dependable and secure family transport