Toyota Prius (2016-2021) reliability & safety rating
The Toyota Prius packs plenty of standard safety technology, which means it’ll be safe, dependable and secure family transport
|Euro NCAP||Adult protection||Child protection||Safety assist|
|5 stars (2016)||92%||82%||85%|
Given this is the fourth-generation Prius, the Japanese manufacturer has extensive experience when it comes to the electrified element of the engine technology. That means over more than 20 years of development, the car and its electronics have been ultra-reliable, as you’d expect from a Toyota.
Toyota Prius reliability & problems
Our sister title Auto Express ranked the Prius as the 16th best car to own in its 2020 Driver Power owner survey, which is the last time the Prius appeared in the results. In the most recent survey, the brand overall ranked fifth on the list of best manufacturers for 2021. Those are very strong results indeed and should give buyers confidence with this facelifted model. A reasonable 15% of Toyota owners reported a fault within the first year, which is slightly less than the 21% of Hyundai customers.
The Prius' standard safety kit and clever platform mean it’ll help prevent a collision, but if the worst should happen it’ll be safe in a crash, too. All cars get seven airbags, collision warning with pedestrian detection and autonomous braking, lane-departure alert, adaptive cruise control and a reversing camera fitted as standard, which helped the Prius achieve a full five-star Euro NCAP safety rating. If you go for a Business Edition model, you also get blind-spot monitoring, while Business Edition+ adds front and rear parking sensors.
In This Review
- 1VerdictA mid-life facelift gave the fourth-generation Toyota Prius a revised look and added an all-wheel-drive variant to the line-up
- 2MPG & CO2 emissionsThe Toyota Prius returns excellent efficiency for a conventional hybrid car, making it very cheap to run
- 3Running costs & insuranceThe fourth-generation Toyota Prius offers exceedingly low running costs with a hybrid powertrain that maximises efficiency
- 4Performance, engine & driveThe Toyota Prius has acceptable performance and safe, secure handling, but don't expect an exciting drive
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortThe Toyota Prius is comfortable and has a spacious interior, but the standard infotainment system could be a lot better
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityA big boot, roomy interior and good visibility mean the Toyota Prius has huge practicality to match its efficiency
- 7Reliability & safety rating - currently readingThe Toyota Prius packs plenty of standard safety technology, which means it’ll be safe, dependable and secure family transport