Toyota bZ4X running costs & insurance
Insurance groups are higher than most rivals, but Toyota’s ‘Relax’ warranty and all-in leasing packages are plus points here
|Insurance groups||Warranty||Service interval||Annual company-car tax cost (20%/40%)|
|35-38||3yrs/60,000 miles||1yr/10,000 miles||From £175/£350|
The bZ4X’s strong efficiency bodes well for running costs in an era of increasingly pricey public rapid charging and rising domestic energy costs. Company-car tax rates will remain super-low for all electric cars for the foreseeable future, too, while Toyota’s warranty is one of the best in the business.
Toyota bZ4X insurance group
Depending on the exact trim level, the bZ4X has an insurance group rating of 35 to 38. Those are significantly higher ratings than rivals like the Volkswagen ID.4 and Skoda Enyaq iV attract, as well as most versions of the Nissan Ariya and Ford Mustang Mach-E.
Like all Toyotas sold in the UK, the bZ4X benefits from the Japanese brand’s ‘Relax’ warranty scheme. This consists of a standard three-year/60,000-mile manufacturer warranty, which can continue to be topped up on an annual basis until it reaches the 10-year mark by getting the car serviced at a franchised Toyota dealer, up to a maximum mileage of 100,000.
The bZ4X needs servicing every year or 10,000 miles, whichever comes first. Routine servicing can be paid for separately, or bundled into a single monthly payment as part of Toyota’s ‘Kinto One’ finance and leasing scheme. An introductory offer sees lease customers who place their order on or before 30 June 2022 enjoy three years’ free servicing.
The bZ4X, like all fully electric cars, is fully road-tax-exempt in the UK for the time being and will escape the London Congestion Charge until 2025.
In This Review
- 1Toyota bZ4X reviewAlthough it doesn’t move the game on in a major way, the Toyota bZ4X is an instantly competitive contender in the electric family SUV arena
- 2Range, battery & chargeThe bZ4X doesn't set any range or charging records, but gets impressively close to its claimed numbers in real-world driving
- 3Running costs & insurance - currently readingInsurance groups are higher than most rivals, but Toyota’s ‘Relax’ warranty and all-in leasing packages are plus points here
- 4Performance, motor & driveA fun driving experience is one of the Toyota bZ4X’s most surprising and impressive qualities
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortThe bZ4X’s infotainment system is a vast improvement on those found in previous Toyotas
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityThe bZ4X doesn’t comprehensively outshine any rivals here, but should still be spacious enough for most
- 7Reliability & safety ratingToyota’s reputation for reliability is bolstered by an extensive list of standard safety features