Polestar 2 vs Tesla Model 3: verdict and specifications
It's a close fight, but the Model 3 just edges the Polestar as a package
There's a lot to like about each of these cars; both are on the cutting edge of electric-car technology and have desirability, performance and that minimalist cool factor on their side. Each is a remarkably versatile family-car proposition, with strong real-world range and lots of space; the Polestar is the sportier choice, the Tesla more relaxed in its demeanour. Deciding a winner comes down to the details, and when you do this the Model 3 presents the more complete package. However, the Polestar 2 is the most convincing rival yet for the smallest Tesla – and we look forward to seeing how it improves over the coming years.
1st: Tesla Model 3 – 5.0 stars
Fast, efficient and technologically advanced, the Tesla Model 3 represents everything that's good about the disruptive American brand. It just edges its Polestar rival in some important areas, not least range and overall comfort; the fact that it's a bit more spacious and practical is the deciding factor.
2nd: Polestar 2 – 4.0 stars
A fantastic effort from a young brand, the Polestar 2 is a deeply desirable car that runs the Tesla very close in most areas. We prefer its quality interior and sportier, more engaging driving experience, but it's a little slower than the Model 3 and can't go quite as far on a charge. Overall, though, it's impressive and well worth a test drive for those considering a Tesla.
|Car||Tesla Model 3 Performance||Polestar 2 Performance Pack|
|Engine||Two electric motors||Two electric motors|
|Transmission||Single-speed auto, four-wheel drive||Single-speed auto, four-wheel drive|
|Battery capacity (total / usable)||75 / 72.5kWh||78 / 72.5kWh|
|Power / torque||483bhp / 660Nm||402bhp / 660Nm|
|0-60mph||3.2 seconds||4.7 seconds|
|100% charge cost at 14p/kWh||£10.44||£10.44|
|Charging capability||3.7 / 7.4 / 11 / 50 / 175 / 250kW||2.3 / 7.4 / 11 / 50 / 150kW|
|Charge times||37h 15m / 11h 45m / 7h 45m / 73m / 29m / 15m||37h 15m / 23h 15m / 11h 45m / 7h 45m / 64m / 27m|
|Official electric range||329 miles||292 miles|
|On-test electric range||261 miles||232 miles|
|Road tax / BiK rate||£0 / 0%||£0 / 0%|
|Length / width / height / wheelbase||4,694 / 1,933 / 1,443 / 2,875mm||4,607 / 1,950 / 1,478 / 2,735mm|
|Boot capacity (seats up)||410 Iitres||370 litres|
In This Review
- 1IntroThe Tesla Model 3 is the best pure-electric executive car right now. Does the Polestar 2 have what it takes to knock it off its perch?
- 2Range & chargingNeither car can match its punchy claimed figures, but both boast useful real-world ranges and zippy charging
- 3Performance & handlingThe Polestar is sharper to drive despite its weight; Tesla takes a softer-edged approach and is quicker
- 4Interior & infotainmentMinimalist, infotainment-centric design is the order of the day for both cars; Polestar pips Tesla for quality
- 5Space & practicalityThe Polestar looks bigger, but is actually slightly less practical than the well packaged Tesla
- 6Safety & reliabilityBoth the Polestar and Tesla are packed with some of the latest high-tech safety and driver-assistance systems
- 7Verdict & specifications - currently readingIt's a close fight, but the Model 3 just edges the Polestar as a package