MINI Electric vs Renault ZOE: running costs and warranty
The ZOE is cheaper to buy than the MINI and offers more standard equipment; both cost peanuts to run
As you'd expect from small electric cars, both the MINI and the Renault cost very little to run. In our test we calculated costs based on charging from a domestic power supply at an average of 14.4p per kWh; by our reckoning, £7.92 will fully top up the ZOE’s battery, while £4.69 will do the same for the MINI.
Extrapolating those figures, the ZOE – based on our test efficiency figure of 3.7 miles per kWh – will cost 4p per mile to run, while the MINI with its 3.6 miles per kWh will cost 4.5p per mile. There’s not much to separate these two, then: over 20,000 miles, that’s an electricity bill of £788 for the Renault, or £800 for the MINI.
The MINI is covered by a three-year/unlimited-mileage warranty, while the Renault gets a longer five-year warranty with a 100,000-mile limit. As with most electric cars, both the MINI and Renault have separate warranties for their batteries – each gets identical eight-year/100,000-mile coverage in this case.
In This Review
- 1IntroMINI's new kid on the small electric-car block takes on our 2020 Car of the Year, the refreshed Renault ZOE
- 2Range & chargingThe Renault ZOE wins the range competition, with the MINI Electric geared towards urban motorists
- 3Running costs & warranty - currently readingThe ZOE is cheaper to buy than the MINI and offers more standard equipment; both cost peanuts to run
- 4Performance & handlingThe MINI Electric is the more fun to drive of this pair, although the Renault ZOE is more comfortable
- 5Interior & infotainmentBoth cars get strong infotainment systems and well designed interiors, but the MINI edges ahead of the Renault
- 6Space & practicalityThe Renault beats the MINI when it comes to both passenger and luggage space
- 7Safety & reliabilityRenault and MINI have strong reputation for safety; both cars should prove reliable transport
- 8Verdict & specificationsBoth of these are great small electric cars, but the Renault ZOE is a more complete package than the MINI Electric