MINI Electric vs Renault ZOE: space and practicality
The Renault beats the MINI when it comes to both passenger and luggage space
Overall, the Renault ZOE is the more practical of these two. While the MINI fulfils its brief as a stylish urban runaround, the ZOE goes a step further and feels more like a conventional supermini in terms of flexibility. The ZOE is only available with five doors, while the MINI makes do with three; access to the ZOE’s rear bench is far easier and there’s more head and legroom once you’re in.
There’s a gulf between these two when it comes to boot space, too: the MINI makes do with 211 litres, while the ZOE gets 338. Fold the seats down and the Renault boasts 1,225 litres – far more than the 731 litres of total space in the MINI.
The difference between these two is entirely down to packaging: the MINI’s battery is located under the boot floor, while the ZOE has its battery mounted under the rear seats. The trade-off in the MINI is restricted boot space, while the ZOE actually uses its layout to its advantage: the extra height of the rear seats improves comfort for rear-seat occupants.
In This Review
- 1IntroMINI's new kid on the small electric-car block takes on our 2020 Car of the Year, the refreshed Renault ZOE
- 2Range & chargingThe Renault ZOE wins the range competition, with the MINI Electric geared towards urban motorists
- 3Running costs & warrantyThe ZOE is cheaper to buy than the MINI and offers more standard equipment; both cost peanuts to run
- 4Performance & handlingThe MINI Electric is the more fun to drive of this pair, although the Renault ZOE is more comfortable
- 5Interior & infotainmentBoth cars get strong infotainment systems and well designed interiors, but the MINI edges ahead of the Renault
- 6Space & practicality - currently readingThe Renault beats the MINI when it comes to both passenger and luggage space
- 7Safety & reliabilityRenault and MINI have strong reputation for safety; both cars should prove reliable transport
- 8Verdict & specificationsBoth of these are great small electric cars, but the Renault ZOE is a more complete package than the MINI Electric