Volvo XC40 Recharge electric performance, motor & drive
Stunning performance and superb comfort make for a very appealing combination in the electric XC40
|Model||0-62mph||Top speed||Driven wheels||Power|
The XC40 Recharge’s fantastic refinement makes it a very relaxing motorway cruiser. While it isn’t as quiet as an Audi e-tron, it’s not far off. There’s very little whine from the motor and wind and road noise are kept in check, too. Plus, for a relatively small car, it can certainly shift. The electric XC40 line-up also received several updates in late 2022, including switching the single-motor version from front to rear-wheel drive.
Volvo XC40 Recharge electric 0-62mph, top speed and acceleration
The electric XC40 Recharge is now available with either a single-motor or dual-motor powertrain. The base model uses one electric power to power the rear wheels and produces 235bhp in all. 0-62mph in this version takes 7.4 seconds, which is plenty fast for a family SUV.
Meanwhile, the XC40 Twin gets an extra motor on the front axle and produces a total of 402bhp. With that much power on tap, this compact SUV can go from 0-62mph in just 4.9 seconds. That shove is available instantly, too – just put your foot down and the XC40 takes off.
There are two levels of regenerative braking: a coasting mode and a setting to choose how much regenerative braking you want when you lift off the throttle, so one-pedal driving as in the Honda e or Nissan Leaf is also possible.
The suspension of the XC40 Recharge has been tuned for comfort, so more often than not you just sit back and relax, making it a fantastic commuter and motorway cruiser. But off the motorway, you notice that the XC40 isn’t as sharp to drive as a Jaguar I-Pace or even its sister model the Polestar 2, so you don’t feel compelled to exploit all 402bhp you have on tap if you’re driving the all-wheel-drive version.
In This Review
- 1VerdictDespite it being based on an existing petrol-engined model, there’s plenty to recommend about the Volvo XC40 Recharge electric SUV
- 2Range, battery & chargingThe electric XC40 has received a range boost for 2023, while rapid charging speeds remain competitive for its class
- 3Running costs & insuranceAffordable company-car tax and infrequent servicing count in the electric XC40's favour here
- 4Performance, motor & drive - currently readingStunning performance and superb comfort make for a very appealing combination in the electric XC40
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortUp-to-date infotainment, classy design and high quality come together inside the electric XC40
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityThe electric XC40 should have sufficient passenger and luggage space for most families' needs
- 7Reliability & safety ratingSimple electric drivetrain and Volvo's peerless safety record mean peace of mind for owners here