Volvo XC40 Recharge electric reliability & safety rating
Simple electric drivetrain and Volvo's peerless safety record mean peace of mind for owners here
|Euro NCAP||Adult protection||Child protection||Safety assist|
|5 stars (2018)||97%||87%||76%|
Volvo and safety are two words that go together very naturally. Like many of its predecessors, the electric XC40 is packed with lots of safety features, while the petrol version performed exceptionally well when it was put through Euro NCAP crash-testing.
Volvo XC40 Recharge electric reliability & problems
The electric XC40 Recharge has just launched, so owners haven’t really had a chance to test the reliability of their cars. But you needn’t worry: Volvo performed well in 2021 Driver Power owner satisfaction survey – placing ninth in the top 30 manufacturers rundown, while the combustion-engine XC40 won the title of best premium small SUV and finished eighth out of 75 models in the list of best cars to own.
Volvo has always been a byword for safety and the XC40 is no different. Back in 2018, the regular XC40 received a five-star rating in Euro NCAP tests, with a 97% score for adult occupant protection and 87% for child protection.
Volvo has packed plenty of safety kit into the XC40 Recharge, including a 360-degree parking camera, blind-spot monitoring and a steering wheel that vibrates if you drift out of lane. Volvo’s safety assistance will also apply the brakes if it detects oncoming traffic, pedestrians or animals and you don’t react.
In This Review
- 1VerdictDespite it being based on an existing petrol-engined model, there’s plenty to recommend about the Volvo XC40 Recharge electric SUV
- 2Range, battery & chargingThe electric XC40's range is good, but not the best in class, while its charging speeds are excellent
- 3Running costs & insuranceAffordable company-car tax and infrequent servicing count in the electric XC40's favour here
- 4Performance, motor & driveStunning performance and superb comfort make for a very appealing combination in the electric XC40
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortUp-to-date infotainment, classy design and high quality come together inside the electric XC40
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityThe electric XC40 should have sufficient passenger and luggage space for most families' needs
- 7Reliability & safety rating - currently readingSimple electric drivetrain and Volvo's peerless safety record mean peace of mind for owners here