Volkswagen Passat GTE boot space & seating
As the Passat is a four-door saloon, practicality isn't a speciality, and the GTE's hybrid battery pack doesn't help matters
|Length||Width||Height||Boot volume (seats up/down)|
The Volkswagen Passat GTE is a saloon car, which means the boot opens without the rear windscreen. The result is that it’s not as practical for loading large items as a hatchback model, but luckily there’s a Passat GTE Estate if you need this extra versatility. However, the saloon Passat GTE isn’t as practical as the similar Skoda Superb iV, which has a hatchback boot, as well as more room inside.
Volkswagen Passat GTE interior space, storage & comfort
The Passat is a very spacious car. Five people will easily fit inside, and while you wouldn’t want to do a long trip in the middle rear seat, the outer rear seats are easily big enough for adults to travel a very long way without getting uncomfortable.
There are good-sized doorbins, a glovebox, cupholders and a small storage box in the centre of the cabin. Overall interior storage is good, so along with the passenger space, the Passat is an excellent car for holidays.
With the rear seats up, there’s 402 litres of space in the plug-in hybrid Passat’s boot. This is a really good size, but the small opening means it’s not as good as the estate version, nor the hatchback or estate Superb iV when it comes to carrying big loads.
Fold the seats and it’s more bad news compared to other models, because there’s only 968 litres of space. In the Superb there’s 1,610 litres in this configuration, so it’s much more useful for carrying stuff.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe VW Passat GTE saloon is an excellent plug-in hybrid, but it's neither the most practical nor the best value choice on the market
- 2Range, MPG, CO2 & chargingImpressive official numbers will be tough to replicate in the real world, but the VW Passat GTE is reasonably competitive with rivals in most respects
- 3Running costs & insuranceRunning a VW Passat GTE should be very cheap, especially if you're a company-car user
- 4Performance, engine & driveThe VW Passat GTE is smooth and comfortable, but powerful plug-in hybrid drivetrain means it's also pretty fast, if not very involving
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortLike all VW Passats, the GTE saloon boasts a classy and comfortable interior, and is generally well equipped
- 6Boot space, seating & practicality - currently readingAs the Passat is a four-door saloon, practicality isn't a speciality, and the GTE's hybrid battery pack doesn't help matters
- 7Reliability & safety ratingA strong safety score inspires confidence, but Volkswagen's traditional reputation for reliability has taken a bit of a knock in recent years