Toyota Corolla hybrid interior & comfort
Interior quality, comfort and design have been improved greatly over the old Auris, but the Corolla hybrid is still functional above all else inside
The Corolla boasts cleanly designed and well put-together interior, although unsurprisingly for a Toyota, it's not the last word in luxurious sophistication inside.
Toyota Corolla hybrid dashboard
An instrument panel 24mm slimmer than that of the Auris, combined with a wider and higher centre console, gives the driver a 'cocooned' feel in the Corolla. There's a seven-inch screen built into the driver's instruments (4.2 inches on the entry-level car), as well as a large, eight-inch touchscreen mounted prominently in the centre of the dashboard, giving access to the Toyota Touch 2 multimedia infotainment system.
Equipment, options & accessories
The Corolla is available in five trim levels in the UK: Icon, Icon Tech, Design, GR Sport and Excel. Icon and Icon Tech are only available with the 1.8-litre hybrid drivetrain, Design is available with that engine along with the 2.0-litre hybrid, as are Excel and GR Sport models.
Standard features on the entry-level Icon include 16-inch alloy wheels, automatic LED headlights, LED foglights, heated front seats, the Toyota Touch 2 touchscreen multimedia infotainment system with an eight-inch dashboard screen and a seven-inch screen in front of the driver. A reversing camera, DAB digital radio and dual-zone air-conditioning are included, too.
The Icon Tech adds sat nav and voice control, and increases the driver's screen size to seven inches, as well as adding parking sensors and a parking assistance system. We think these useful extras are worth paying more for.
Design makes the Corolla more stylish with the addition of 17-inch alloy wheels, along with rain-sensing wipers, power-adjustable heated door mirrors, an auto-dimming rear-view mirror, rear privacy glass and an optional opening panoramic roof.
GR Sport takes a similarly design-focused approach with a more aggressive bodykit, black alloy wheels and the addition of sports seats inside. Equipment runs more or less in line with Design models. It’s worth noting that this trim level is available on Hatchback and Touring Sports, but not the Corolla Saloon.
The Excel is the best-equipped Corolla in the range, offering 18-inch alloys, bi-LED headlights, smart entry, leather sports seats, an optional eight-speaker premium stereo and optional bi-tone paint finish.
Infotainment, apps & sat nav
Toyota's Touch 2 touchscreen multimedia infotainment system is standard across the Corolla range, however the entry-level Icon does without the sat-nav function, so it's definitely worth upgrading to Icon Tech for that, as well as the larger driver's screen behind the steering wheel.
A reversing camera is also standard on all models, along with six-speaker stereo, DAB and FM radio receivers, an auxiliary socket, a USB port and Bluetooth connectivity. As of early 2020, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay connectivity is standard across the Corolla range.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe stylish and efficient Toyota Corolla hybrid is an appealing family-hatchback choice, and a big improvement on the old Auris
- 2MPG & CO2 emissionsAlthough not a match for its plug-in hybrid rivals, the Toyota Corolla's MPG and CO2 figures are competitive
- 3Running costsLow CO2 emissions spell good news for company-car drivers, and the Toyota Corolla hybrid should be quite affordable to run overall
- 4Engines, drive & performanceThe Corolla hybrid is better to drive than its Auris predecessor; a choice of engines lets you prioritise economy or performance
- 5Interior & comfort - currently readingInterior quality, comfort and design have been improved greatly over the old Auris, but the Corolla hybrid is still functional above all else inside
- 6Practicality & boot spaceThe Toyota Corolla hybrid is reasonably spacious inside and has a good-sized boot, but it's not a class leader in this respect
- 7Reliability & safetyThere's no independent reliability data for the Corolla hybrid yet, but the company’s track record in this area is excellent