Smart EQ ForTwo Coupe (2014-2019) range, battery & charging
Relatively quick charge times can’t make up for the Smart EQ ForTwo's limited real-world range
|Range||Battery size||Wallbox charge time||Fast charge time|
|68 miles||17.6kWh||3hrs (0-100%, 7.4kW)||55mins (0-100%, 22kW)*|
*with optional 22kW on-board charger
The Smart EQ ForTwo is designed for city driving. Its tiny dimensions are perfectly suited to urban areas, but stop-start traffic harms the car’s already-limited range. It misses out on some of its rivals’ clever technology, too, with relatively few ways to maximise your range. Still, if you’ve got a short commute and can charge the EQ ForTwo regularly, it’s a fantastic car to live with.
Smart EQ ForTwo range
The Smart has an Eco button, which restricts power usage and throttle response, adding vital miles to the car’s usable range. Depending on your driving style, it could offer as many as 20 extra miles to the car’s predicted range. Switching the air-con off will boost this, too.
Smart says you can charge your ForTwo to 80% full in as little as 40 minutes. However, you’ll need a home wallbox or public charger for that rate. From a domestic three-pin power socket, the Smart takes “less than six hours” to reach 80%. Smart provides charging cables for home charging as well as for wallbox and public charging stations.
Smart offers an eight-year/62,000-mile battery warranty with every new EQ model. This is transferable to any subsequent owner, and will be valid even if you buy the car used (as long as it has been serviced in line with the manufacturer's schedule).
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe Smart EQ ForTwo is a fantastic city runabout, but it’s hampered by its two-seat body, limited practicality and relatively short electric range
- 2Range, battery & charging - currently readingRelatively quick charge times can’t make up for the Smart EQ ForTwo's limited real-world range
- 3Running costsDepending on how you charge your Smart EQ ForTwo, you can expect to see your motoring bills plummet
- 4Electric motor, drive & performanceA peppy electric motor and low weight mean the Smart EQ ForTwo is quick off the mark, making it fun to drive around town
- 5Interior & comfortDespite being produced by Mercedes, the Smart EQ ForTwo can’t match its sleek siblings for interior quality
- 6Practicality & boot spaceThe Smart EQ ForTwo is a dinky two-seater, but those after more space should look to the more practical ForFour
- 7Reliability & safetyDon’t be fooled by the Smart EQ ForTwo's size: this is one surprisingly tough city car