Smart EQ ForFour (2017-2019) costs, insurance, warranty & tax
Smart EQ ForFour running costs will be very low, particularly if you charge up at home
|Insurance group||Warranty||Service intervals||Road tax|
|11||2yrs / unlimited miles||1yr / 12,500 miles||£0|
With every model costing over £18,000 when new, even with the fuel savings represented by a full battery charge costing less than £3, a private buyer might have struggled to save money overall compared to running a small petrol car.
But now that examples are available on the secondhand market for less, the Smart can make more sense. London-based Smart EQ drivers enjoy exemption from the capital's Congestion Charge until 2025 and there's no annual road tax to pay, either.
Smart EQ ForFour insurance group
The Smart EQ ForFour is rated in insurance group 11 irrespective of trim level or options fitted. That should make it less expensive to insure than the ZOE. It's worth seeking a quote before you make a decision to buy, though, as personal circumstances can affect insurance costs just as much as group ratings.
All Smarts sold in the UK came with a three-year/unlimited-mileage warranty, as well as 12 years of cover against corrosion. Additionally, the battery got a separate eight-year warranty, but this has a limit of 62,500 miles.
Smart EQ ForFours require an annual visit to a Smart workshop, which can set up a service contract to make it easier to keep track of scheduled maintenance costs. Contracts can either be paid for on a monthly basis or up front.
As a zero-emissions car, the Smart EQ ForFour is exempt from vehicle excise duty (VED), a.k.a. road tax.
In This Review
- 1VerdictDespite mediocre battery range, modest carrying capacity and a firm ride, the Smart EQ ForFour is a likeable electric city-car package
- 2Range, battery & chargingWith a real-world range of less than 70 miles, the Smart EQ ForFour really is best suited to city use
- 3Running costs & insurance - currently readingSmart EQ ForFour running costs will be very low, particularly if you charge up at home
- 4Performance, motor & driveThe EQ ForFour offers nippy acceleration and is easy to drive, but it's no electric 'driver's car'
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortSmart EQ ForFour boasts a well trimmed and generously appointed interior
- 6Boot space, seating & practicality'More of a handy urban tool than a family workhorse' sums the Smart EQ ForFour up
- 7Reliability & safety ratingSmart EQ ForFour reliability is unproven, and although it's well equipped, its safety rating is so-so