Audi e-tron 55 quattro vs Jaguar I-Pace EV400: verdict
The Audi e-tron and Jaguar I-Pace are both excellent electric cars, but there's only one stand-out option here...
As we've seen, the Audi e-tron and Jaguar I-Pace are two closely matched cars. The Jag boasts epic performance and low running costs, while the Audi is the more comfortable of the pair.
Which is best for you will come down to your unique needs and desires: those not wishing to scream about their new car's eco credentials will probably lean towards the e-tron, while those after a bit more excitement behind the wheel will no doubt favour the I-Pace.
Either way, you'll be getting a really good electric car that's sure to deliver many happy years of electric, zero emissions motoring.
We must declare a winner, however. So without further ado, first place goes to...
First place: Jaguar I-Pace
The Jaguar is the real star of this duo. It sets a sky-high benchmark for how a big electric car can drive, being fun, fast and involving without sacrificing its loping, easygoing nature for daily driving. Not only that, but it betters the Audi for range and equipment. Unless you really need the Audi’s roominess, the I-Pace is the better car here, and one of the best electric cars on sale.
Second place: Audi e-tron
The Audi e-tron is an accomplished car. Its spacious interior is a real standout feature and, together with the cushy ride comfort, could well sway long-suffering commuters after a mop for their brow. However, it's simply not as good to drive as the I-Pace (even in normal daily motoring), its range is disappointing and it’s too easy to find yourself spending five figures on options.
|Audi e-tron 55 quattro||Jaguar I-Pace EV400 HSE|
|Price||£68,060 (after PiCG)||£71,495 (after PiCG)|
|Motor||2x electric motor||2x electric motor|
|Transmission||Single-speed automatic, four-wheel drive||Single-speed automatic, front-wheel drive|
|0-60mph||5.4 seconds||4.4 seconds|
|Energy consumption||2.3 miles/kWh||2.5 miles/kWh|
|Tax||£0 VED / 16% BiK||£0 VED / 16% BiK|
|Boot (seats up/down)||660/1,725/60 litres||435/1,176 litres|
In This Review
- 1IntroductionWe put two of the frontrunners in the electric executive SUV market head-to-head on UK roads to find out which one’s best
- 2Range & chargingThe Audi has the bigger battery, but the Jaguar goes furthest on a charge – although neither has the real-world range you might hope for
- 3Running costs & warrantyGo for the mid-range I-Pace SE and it’s the better value car, but choosing high-spec HSE makes it more expensive than the e-tron
- 4Driving & performanceThe Audi is cushy and comfortable, but the Jaguar is in another league, offering sportscar-like performance and driver reward
- 5Interior, comfort & practicalityThe Audi is a usefully roomier family SUV, although the Jaguar is still spacious and comfortable enough for easy family motoring
- 6Verdict - currently readingThe Audi e-tron and Jaguar I-Pace are both excellent electric cars, but there's only one stand-out option here...