Peugeot 508 Hybrid reliability & safety rating
As with all Peugeots, the 508 Hybrid is very safe and should be built to last, but the reliability of its new drivetrain is largely unproven
|Euro NCAP||Adult protection||Child protection||Safety assist|
|5 stars (2018)||96%||86%||79%|
The Peugeot 508 is one of the safest large family cars on sale, with an impressive crash-test score from Euro NCAP and an array of active safety and driver-assistance features. As a gauge of how easy the car is to live with, it's useful to consult the 2022 Driver Power owner satisfaction survey; the 508 itself didn't feature, but a number of its stablemates did.
Peugeot 508 Hybrid reliability & problems
The 508 may have missed out on inclusion in the 2022 Driver Power survey, but a strong performance from the similar 3008 bodes well. Plus, Peugeot itself finished in a strong fourth place out of 29 manufacturers, with a relatively-low 17% average share of owners reporting faults with their cars. In fact, Peugeot was the highest-rated French car manufacturer in the survey, and if this strong performance is a sign of Peugeot's depth of engineering, it's safe to assume that there's little to worry about with the 508's reliability.
This is where the 508 really shines: its five-star Euro NCAP crash-test rating comes thanks to impressive scores for adult and child occupant protection (96% and 86% respectively), along with a comprehensive list of active driver aids and safety systems, including automatic emergency braking, lane-keeping assistance, speed-limit recognition and road-edge detection, as well as a distance alert system to stop drivers following the car in front too closely, blind-spot monitoring, automatic high-beam headlights and road-sign recognition.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe Peugeot 508 plug-in hybrid executive car is a good effort, hitting all the right notes for company users – but it seems too expensive for private buyers
- 2Range, MPG, CO2 & chargingAs with all plug-in hybrids, getting the best fuel economy from the 508 Hybrid depends on keeping the battery topped up; CO2 emissions are low
- 3Running costs & insurancePlug-in hybrid tax breaks mean the 508 Hybrid makes a lot of sense for company-car users; strong warranty offers great peace of mind
- 4Performance, engine & driveThe 508 Hybrid isn't quite up to BMW standards of driver involvement, but it's a comfortable and enjoyable car nonetheless
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortThe 508 Hybrid's interior is a showstopper and you'll be happy to spend lots of time in it
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityStriking styling and a rakish roofline don't dent the 508 Hybrid's practicality too much; nor does the battery
- 7Reliability & safety rating - currently readingAs with all Peugeots, the 508 Hybrid is very safe and should be built to last, but the reliability of its new drivetrain is largely unproven