Lexus UX 300e interior, dashboard & comfort
The Lexus UX 300e is made even more relaxing to travel in by an electric drivetrain
If it's build quality you want, Lexus usually delivers – and with the UX 300e, that solid feeling is present and correct. Quality materials are used throughout the slightly esoterically designed cabin, with a choice of leather and cloth colours available.
There are no squeaks and rattles, the switchgear feels well made and it's easy to get comfortable in the car's good seats, particularly for the driver, whose seat can go surprisingly low for an SUV. Gadgets and goodies abound and there are two infotainment systems available, each an improvement over that previously fitted to the UX.
Lexus UX 300e dashboard
Lexus has its own style when it comes to dashboard design and while it may take some getting used to, it's an approach that largely makes sense. A central letter-box infotainment screen sits atop a dash that curves around the driver, while two protruding knobs above the instrument binnacle are used to adjust functions like the driving modes and the traction control.
Piano-style buttons below the central air vents control commonly used features like the air-conditioning, which thankfully isn't buried away in the infotainment screen. The centre console houses a pair of cupholders and Lexus's love-it-or-hate-it touchpad control for the infotainment.
Equipment, options & accessories
As of June 2021, the Lexus UX 300e range now starts from £41,475 for the base model. Standard equipment is generous on the entry-level UX 300e: a number of active safety features (see the Reliability & Safety section of this review) are joined by front and rear parking sensors, a rear-view camera, eight-way adjustable front seats, LED headlights and standard roof rails, with fabric upholstery and electric heated door mirrors too.
The Premium Plus pack adds leather seats, heated and ventilated front seats, heated rear seats, keyless entry and a wireless phone charger among other features. We think it's worth picking the Premium Plus Pack if you want a more luxurious experience, however, bear in mind you'll have to pay £3,800 for it. Prices for the UX 300e with the Premium Plus Pack start from £45,245.
The Takumi Pack cars get even more kit, including sat nav, a larger 10.3-inch infotainment screen, a 13-speaker Mark Levinson sound system, uprated LED headlights, a head-up display and a 360-degree parking camera, plus much more – it's a kitchen-sink approach that many buyers in this segment will enjoy, but that pushes the asking price to a punchy £51,345.
Infotainment, apps & sat nav
There are two infotainment screens on offer to UX 300e buyers – a smaller seven-inch one on standard and Premium Plus Pack cars, and a larger, letter-box style 10.3-inch screen on Takumi cars. Both use an infotainment system that's snappy enough and thankfully now includes Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity, but you have to use the brand's slightly odd touchpad controller to use it.
It's not the most straightforward solution, with most manufacturers opting for a rotary dial arrangement instead. The larger screen allows for the likes of Android Auto to be used in a larger format, with music and sat-nav information displayed concurrently. We'd stick with this rather than using Lexus' own system.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe Lexus UX 300e electric car suits its drivetrain well and is one of the most refined small SUVs around
- 2Range, battery & chargingThe electric Lexus UX finds itself close to the bottom of the pack when it comes to range and charging
- 3Running costs & insuranceThe usual balance of savings applies here: you won't spend money on petrol, but insurance and asking price are factors
- 4Performance, motor & driveAdequate performance, a controlled chassis and a well engineered drivetrain make the UX 300e a pleasant drive
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfort - currently readingThe Lexus UX 300e is made even more relaxing to travel in by an electric drivetrain
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityIt's not very big inside, but the Lexus UX 300e is extremely comfortable
- 7Reliability & safety ratingSafety and reliability are assured in the UX 300e thanks to Lexus' time-earned reputation