Lexus UX 300e reliability & safety
Safety and reliability are assured in the UX 300e thanks to Lexus' time-earned reputation
Lexus is known for building solid, reliable cars and its customers are frequently the most satisfied in our Driver Power surveys. So while the UX 300e hasn't really had enough time to prove itself yet, we'd be very surprised if it didn't follow the trend.
Similarly, with strong crash-test results for the hybrid-engined versions and plenty of active safety systems, you can rest assured that your Lexus electric car is among the safest on sale.
Lexus UX 300e reliability & problems
While the electric UX hasn't been on sale long enough for its reliability to be properly assessed, its hybrid sibling has a very strong reputation. In our 2020 Driver Power survey, a relatively low average share of owners (11.9%) reported experiencing a fault. Build quality was highly rated, too.
Lexus itself, meanwhile, topped the customer-satisfaction league table beating 29 other manufacturers in the process. Reliability and build quality contributed a great deal to this victory, as did Lexus' styling, comfort and safety kit.
The hybrid Lexus UX achieved the full five-star rating in its Euro NCAP crash test in 2019, with a strong 96% adult occupant score and 85% for child occupants. That score isn't directly applicable to the electric model, but the UX 300e gets plenty of on-board driver assistance and active safety features, including radar cruise control, a pre-collision system, lane-tracing assistance, road-sign recognition and automatic high-beam headlights.
Front and rear parking sensors are standard-fit, as is a reversing camera, while top-spec Takumi cars add adaptive LED headlights, blind-spot monitoring, rear-cross traffic alert with auto brake and a 360-degree parking camera system to the list.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe Lexus UX 300e electric car suits its drivetrain well and is one of the most refined small SUVs around
- 2Range, MPG, CO2 & chargingThe electric Lexus UX is par for the small electric SUV course, with good range and fast charging
- 3Running costsThe usual balance of savings applies here: you won't spend money on petrol, but insurance and asking price are factors
- 4Engines, drive & performanceAdequate performance, a controlled chassis and a well engineered drivetrain make the UX a pleasant drive
- 5Interior & comfortThe Lexus UX is made even more relaxing to travel in by an electric drivetrain
- 6Practicality & boot space It's not very big inside, but the Lexus UX 300e is well packaged and extremely comfortable
- 7Reliability & safety - currently readingSafety and reliability are assured in the UX 300e thanks to Lexus' time-earned reputation