Lexus RX 450h reliability & safety rating
The Lexus RX 450h offers legendary reliability and a comprehensive safety package
|Euro NCAP rating||Adult protection rating||Child safety rating||Safety assist rating|
Owners are gushing about the Lexus brand’s reliability, and the RX 450h is one of the most highly rated models of all. It’s stacked out with safety kit, too.
Lexus RX 450h reliability & problems
There’s no doubt the Lexus reputation for reliability is one of the best in the car business – in fact, it’s hard to see it being bettered.
Lexus finished top of our sister title Auto Express' 2019 Driver Power satisfaction survey, while the RX was rated a highly impressive fifth overall; a testament to the model’s build quality, fit, finish and satisfying ownership experience. Indeed, just 8.1% of owners reported a problem with their RX: one of the best scores in the entire survey.
As you’d expect from an expensive luxury car, the Lexus RX 450h comes laden with safety kit and has also performed very well in the Euro NCAP independent crash tests. Its roster of 10 airbags helped it to score an impressive 91% for adult occupant protection and 82% for child protection, on its way to a predictable five-star overall result.
As well as the inherent structural safety of driving a big, heavy SUV, the electronics are pretty advanced, too. Adaptive cruise control, traffic-sign recognition, plus lane-keeping assistance and cross-traffic alerts are all on the spec sheet or options list, while a tiredness alert, head-up display and 360-degree cameras help keep you focused on the task at hand.
If things do go wrong, a pre-crash safety system scans the road ahead for cars and pedestrians and autonomous braking is activated if the RX thinks you’re not taking fast enough action to avoid a crash.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe Lexus RX SUV uses proven Toyota hybrid technology to provide a smooth, luxurious drive
- 2MPG & CO2 emissionsThe Lexus RX 450h is reasonably economical for a large SUV, but it's far from a class leader
- 3Running costs & insuranceThe Lexus RX 450h makes the most sense as a company car, although plug-in hybrids offer lower costs
- 4Performance, engine & driveThe Lexus RX 450h is a luxurious and relaxing cruiser, but rival SUVs are more fun to drive
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfort Conservative styling doesn’t detract from the high-quality and well equipped Lexus RX 450h interior
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalitySheer size can make the RX 450h a handful on the road, but there’s loads of interior space
- 7Reliability & safety rating - currently readingThe Lexus RX 450h offers legendary reliability and a comprehensive safety package