Lexus RX 450h (2015-2022) MPG & CO2 emissions
The Lexus RX 450h is reasonably economical for a large SUV, but it's far from a class leader in this respect
|Fuel economy||CO2 emissions|
The 3.5-litre V6 petrol engine under the RX 450h’s bonnet isn't a small engine and the 450h isn’t a small car. As a result, the MPG and CO2 figures aren't exactly startling, but they do make the Lexus more efficient than some of its diesel-engined seven-seater competitors.
Lexus RX 450h MPG
With only one powertrain to choose from, and relatively subtle trim grade differences, it’s not surprising that all variants of the 450h turn in similar numbers for economy and emissions. That said, there's a small variance between the five and seven-seat models, and the choice of 18-inch or 20-inch wheels affects things, too. Around 34 to 36mpg is the official figure, and we've found that to be achievable in the real world.
At 178g/km for the entry-level version, the tailpipe emissions ratings for the Lexus RX 450h are less than impressive, if not terrible given that this is a big car with four-wheel drive and plenty of power. Even so, it can’t compete with the lower ratings achieved by the plug-in hybrid alternatives.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe Lexus RX large SUV uses proven Toyota hybrid technology to provide a smooth and luxurious drive
- 2MPG & CO2 emissions - currently readingThe Lexus RX 450h is reasonably economical for a large SUV, but it's far from a class leader in this respect
- 3Running costs & insuranceThe Lexus RX 450h makes the most sense as a company car, although plug-in hybrids offer lower costs
- 4Performance, engine & driveThe Lexus RX 450h is a luxurious and relaxing cruiser on the motorway, but rival SUVs are more fun to drive
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfort Conservative styling doesn't detract from the high-quality and well equipped Lexus RX 450h interior
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityIts sheer size can make the RX 450h a handful on the road, but there's loads of interior space
- 7Reliability & safety ratingThe Lexus RX 450h offers the brand's legendary reliability record, combined with a comprehensive safety package and five-star crash-test rating