Lexus LC 500h reliability & safety rating
As a Lexus flagship model, anything less than flawless would be a failure for the LC here
The Lexus LC introduced a high-tech rear-drive platform and features new suspension, next-generation hybrid drivetrain technology and the very latest electronic systems. But don’t expect teething problems from a brand with a peerless reputation for quality, reliability and service.
Lexus LC 500h reliability & problems
The Lexus LC itself is too new to have appeared in our Driver Power survey, but Lexus was the top-rated brand for the second year running in 2018 and always performs strongly. In particular, the survey respondents rated interior design and quality extremely highly, but the brand scored well everywhere and topped the reliability and build-quality ratings, too – beating all-comers, including the usual line-up of European premium brands.
There’s no independent Euro NCAP crash-test result for the Lexus LC and it sells in such small volumes in Europe that it may never be evaluated. However, as the Lexus performance flagship the LC is absolutely stacked with safety kit and there’s no doubt it would perform well if tested.
All LC models are equipped with Lexus Safety System+, which includes radar and camera monitoring of the road ahead for potential hazards and collisions. Features of the system include radar cruise control, lane-keeping assistance, lane-departure warning, road-sign recognition and automatic high beams.
The LC’s rear-wheel steering and limited-slip differential also play their part in keeping the big coupe safe and stable at higher speeds, while rear cross-traffic alert and blind-spot monitoring, knee airbags for both front occupants and curtain side airbags all feature, too.
In This Review
- 1VerdictWith stunning concept-car looks and thrilling performance, the LC proves ‘hybrid’ needn’t mean dull
- 2MPG & CO2 emissionsWith similar performance, the hybrid Lexus LC knocks spots off the V8 model when it comes to fuel economy and CO2 emissions
- 3Running costs & insuranceA luxurious sports coupe with an £80,000 price tag is never going to be cheap to run
- 4Engines, drive & performanceUp-to-date powertrain technology and an agile chassis make the LC 500h an impressive performer
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortThe LC's ergonomics aren’t quite up to German standards, but quality and ambience are superb
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityThe Lexus LC is a great grand tourer for two people sharing one person's luggage
- 7Reliability & safety rating - currently readingAs a Lexus flagship model, anything less than flawless would be a failure for the LC here