Lexus ES 300h practicality & boot space
The Lexus ES 300h’s ‘long coupe’ styling limits rear headroom, and the big boot is not as versatile as in popular SUVs
|Length||Width||Height||Boot volume (seats up)|
The Lexus ES enters a large executive saloon car market that’s under increasing pressure from luxurious SUV rivals, and it clearly can’t compete directly with them for practicality.
However, there’s a decent size boot and a roomy cabin, both of which are competitive within the exec saloon class itself. The lack of folding rear seats could frustrate some, though.
Lexus ES 300h interior space, storage & comfort
The front seats in the Lexus ES offer a wide range of adjustment, and we’d defy anyone to be uncomfortable. Legroom is excellent in the rear, but the roofline’s downward slope means headroom is under pressure.
Lexus has lowered the seat cushion and optimised the backrest angle to maximise the available space, and it’s just about viable for six-footers in the back. The Takumi trim level offers passengers the most luxury with its reclining rear seats.
The Lexus ES has a pretty generous boot, with a capacity of 454 litres. Unfortunately you can’t fold down the rear seats to load long items, and there’s also a pretty significant loading lip to lug suitcases over.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe Lexus ES 300h is luxurious, good to drive and beautifully built, with CO2 emissions that will please company-car taxpayers
- 2MPG & CO2 emissionsThe Lexus ES 300h is targeted primarily at business users, and there are definite tax benefits over diesel rivals
- 3Running costsCompetitive pricing, economy and company-car tax advantages all work in favour of the ES 300h
- 4Engines, drive & performanceThe Lexus ES 300h hybrid is superbly cosseting when driven in a relaxed fashion
- 5Interior & comfortThe Lexus ES 300h’s interior is beautifully made and interesting to look at, but the infotainment system is fiddly
- 6Practicality & boot space - currently readingThe Lexus ES 300h’s ‘long coupe’ styling limits rear headroom, and the big boot is not as versatile as in popular SUVs
- 7Reliability & safetyWith plenty of safety kit and a rock-solid reliability story, the Lexus ES 300h has your peace of mind covered