Hyundai Ioniq 5 interior, dashboard & comfort
This perhaps the Ioniq 5's most impressive side: it's hugely spacious and comfortable inside, and packed with easy-to-use yet very capable technology
The Ioniq 5’s relaxing interior is ideally suited to its laid-back cruiser driving style. The seats are soft yet supportive, while excellent noise suppression means the Hyundai is not just quiet at low speeds like the vast majority of electric cars: there's very little wind or road noise to be heard at motorway speeds, either.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 dashboard
The Ioniq 5's dashboard has a smooth, simple and uncluttered nature, with an attractive, light-coloured surround for the two large screens that serve as your primary interface with the car (more on this below). This isn't the potentially overwhelming screenfest you get in the Honda e, but it does share with that model a great sense of space when you're sitting up front: there's no transmission tunnel hemming you in and just fresh air where the gearstick would normally be found in a petrol or diesel-engined car.
Equipment, options & accessories
As of summer 2022, there are three trims for the Ioniq 5: the previously entry-level SE Connect has been withdrawn, leaving Premium, Ultimate and Namsan Edition. SE Connect could only be specified with the entry-level 58kWh battery. Premium is offered with either the 58 or 77kWh battery, while Ultimate and Namsan Edition are available solely with the 77kWh battery.
Equipment-wise, SE Connect gets 19-inch alloy wheels, a leather steering wheel, mood lighting, dual-zone climate control, automatic wipers, smart high-beam headlights, power-adjustable and heated door mirrors, reverse parking sensors, a rear-view camera, smart cruise control, keyless entry, a four-speaker stereo, wireless phone charging and a full suite of active safety systems. Premium adds power adjustment for the driver's seat, heated front seats and a heated steering wheel, front as well as rear parking sensors and a hands-free powered tailgate.
Ultimate builds on this further with 20-inch alloys, power adjustment for the front passenger seat, ventilation for both front seats, heated rear seats, rear privacy glass, a sliding centre console, a head-up display and a premium seven-speaker audio system. The range-topping Namsan Edition, named after a mountain in the South Korean capital city Seoul, adds a full-length 'vision roof', plus leather upholstery, relaxation seats and digital side mirrors.
Infotainment, apps & sat nav
The Ioniq 5's infotainment system uses a similar interface to other models from the brand, but its graphics are much cleaner. The digital driver’s display is also intuitive and easy to read, but perhaps doesn’t boast the same resolution as a Tesla display. What is good is how well the driver assist systems are integrated. For example, models equipped with blind-spot cameras display the images in real time in the instrument panel when the indicators are turned on.
In This Review
- 1VerdictWith more presence than most supercars, ultra-rapid charging and luxury-car-like ride quality and interior comfort, the Hyundai Ioniq 5 is hard to fault
- 2Range, battery & chargingThe Ioniq 5 isn't the outright class leader when it comes to range, but its potential charging speed is very impressive
- 3Running costs & insuranceIt's not the cheapest car to insure, but the Ioniq 5 is predicted to hold its value well and will cost a pittance to run as a company car
- 4Performance, motor & driveOutright speed and sporty handling aren't what the Ioniq 5 is about: instead, it's an extremely comfortable and refined everyday car
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfort - currently readingThis perhaps the Ioniq 5's most impressive side: it's hugely spacious and comfortable inside, and packed with easy-to-use yet very capable technology
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityThe Ioniq 5's dedicated electric-car platform means little gets in the way of extensive interior space – for front and rear-seat passengers, and their luggage in the booth
- 7Reliability & safety ratingThe Ioniq 5 has a five-star crash-test rating and a very generous factory warranty