Volvo XC60 Recharge hybrid reliability & safety
The Volvo XC60 Recharge combines dependability of regular XC60 with Volvo’s traditional focus on safety. Crash protection is impressive
|Euro NCAP||Adult protection rating||Child protection rating||Safety assist rating|
Safety and reliability have traditionally been Volvo strengths and the XC60 doesn't disappoint here.
Volvo XC60 T8 Twin Engine reliability & problems
Volvo is a relatively strong performer in our sister title Auto Express’ Driver Power owner satisfaction survey. In 2018, the brand finished 13th, which was only a mid-table result. However, it was the fifth-strongest brand for reliability and build quality.
As for the hybrid system, this setup is used by many models in Volvo's range and in the three years they’ve been on sale we’ve not heard any reports of failure. Of course, that eight-year warranty protects you if anything should go wrong with this part of the car, too.
The XC60 comes as standard with plenty of safety technology, including autonomous braking with pedestrian, cyclist and large animal detection, collision warning, a system that'll help you swerve to avoid oncoming traffic if you stray into the other lane, a system that prepares the car for a crash if it senses it runs off the road, plenty of airbags and whiplash protection for the seats.
This was enough to earn the XC60 five stars in its Euro NCAP crash test, but you can also upgrade the safety systems with the £1,500 IntelliSafe Pro package. This adds adaptive cruise control with semi-autonomous lane guidance, blind-spot warnings, cross-traffic alert and autonomous braking for when you’re in reverse.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe Volvo XC60 Recharge hybrid combines petrol and electric power with plug-in capability to deliver economy and family-friendly practicality
- 2Range, MPG, CO2 & chargingThe Volvo XC60 plug-in is easy to live with, offering strong real-world economy and low CO2 for a big SUV
- 3Running costsFuel economy that matches a city car's means the XC60 Recharge will cut your running costs significantly, although it’s pricey to buy and insure
- 4Engines, drive & performanceThe Volvo XC60 Recharge hybrid is very economical, but it also offers surprising performance thanks to its broad spread of power
- 5Interior & comfortThe XC60 Recharge's interior is nicely trimmed and feels different to rivals', offering individuality alongside quality, technology and comfort
- 6Practicality & boot spaceVolvo XC60 Recharge isn’t quite as practical as regular models, but there’s still enough space and versatility here for most families
- 7Reliability & safety - currently readingThe Volvo XC60 Recharge combines dependability of regular XC60 with Volvo’s traditional focus on safety. Crash protection is impressive