Volvo XC40 Recharge P8 practicality & boot space
The electric XC40 should have sufficient passenger and luggage space for most families' needs
|Length||Width||Height||Boot volume (seats up/down)|
The XC40 P8 is first and foremost a compact family SUV, so it has plenty of interior space and lots of boot space. It may not be as practical as rivals from Volkswagen and Skoda, but many will be able to live with that in order to enjoy the XC40’s rakish styling.
Volvo XC40 Recharge P8 interior space, storage & comfort
Inside, the XC40 P8 is much the same as the petrol and hybrid models, with lots of rear headroom and legroom plus a good amount of storage. There’s a central cubby with cupholders, a spot for your phone under the main screen and deep door bins.
However, it can feel a little dark inside, as the rear windows are tinted and the rising window line at the back means not a huge amount of light gets in. But this is the case in many of its rivals, while a panoramic sunroof is available on top-spec models to let more light into the cabin.
With 452-litre boot volume, the XC40 P8 hasn’t sacrificed much cargo volume in the switch from petrol to electric power like some cars have. In fact, it has roughly the same boot space as the Kia e-Niro, and a far bigger boot than the Ford Mustang Mach-E. The Volkswagen ID.4 has over 100 litres more space in its boot, but there's some extra cargo space under the XC40's bonnet: it's only 31 litres, but it's ideal for storing the charging cables.
In This Review
- 1VerdictDespite it being based on an existing petrol-engined model, there’s plenty to recommend about the Volvo XC40 Recharge P8 electric SUV
- 2Range, battery & chargingThe electric XC40's range is good, but not the best in class, while its charging speeds are excellent
- 3Running costsAffordable company-car tax and infrequent servicing count in the electric XC40's favour here
- 4Electric motor, drive & performanceStunning performance and superb comfort make for a very appealing combination in the electric XC40
- 5Interior & comfortUp-to-date infotainment, classy design and high quality come together inside the electric XC40
- 6Practicality & boot space - currently readingThe electric XC40 should have sufficient passenger and luggage space for most families' needs
- 7Reliability & safetySimple electric drivetrain and Volvo's peerless safety record mean peace of mind for owners here