Volvo S90 Recharge T8 hybrid reliability & safety rating
Peace of mind comes as standard in the Volvo S90 Recharge T8 hybrid, which is one of the safest cars in the world
|5 stars (2017)
Predictably, the Volvo S90 is one of the safest cars money can buy, with a range of active and passive systems to help you avoid a crash. Meanwhile, the company's dealers seem to be improving year on year.
Volvo S90 Recharge T8 hybrid reliability & problems
The Volvo S90 hasn't yet featured in the annual Driver Power customer-satisfaction survey, but Volvo scored over 90% as a manufacturer overall in 2019, placing in it mid-table behind the likes of Suzuki, Mazda and Kia. Meanwhile, Volvo's dealers were ranked ninth in the UK, scoring 86% overall. Volvo's franchised outlets were praised for their stylish waiting areas and courtesy cars.
The Volvo S90 was crash-tested by Euro NCAP in 2017, when it was awarded the maximum five-star rating. The individual scores were impressive: 95% and 80% for adult and child occupant protection respectively, 76% for pedestrian safety and a remarkable 93% in the safety assistance category. Only one car obtained higher adult occupant and safety assistance ratings: the Volvo XC60, at 98 and 95% respectively. Much of this is down to the structural integrity of modern Volvos, but they also come with a raft of active safety features designed to avoid a crash.
All S90s are fitted with Volvo’s City Safety system, which includes pedestrian, cyclist and large-animal detection, along with front collision warning with full automatic braking. Other standard equipment includes traffic-sign recognition, oncoming-lane mitigation, run-off-road mitigation, run-off-road protection, an active bonnet, driver alertness monitoring, multiple airbags and ISOFIX attachments.
The S90 is also fitted with adaptive cruise control and Pilot Assist. At speeds of up to 80mph, the Pilot Assist system maintains a safe distance to the vehicle in front and uses small steering inputs to keep the car in the centre of its lane. Upgrading to the Ultimate trim level adds a parking camera with 360-degree surround view, and Park Assist Pilot, which measures the parking space for you before handling parallel and perpendicular parking. The pack also includes a glass tilt-and-slide sunroof.
In This Review
- 1VerdictThe Volvo S90 Recharge T8 offers big executive-saloon practicality, a beautiful interior, low CO2 emissions and useful electric range
- 2Range, MPG, CO2 & chargingA useful electric range and low CO2 emissions make the Volvo S90 Recharge a potentially very cost-effective way of getting around
- 3Running costs & insuranceThe Volvo S90 Recharge T8 offers big saloon-car practicality and a beautiful interior, but the diesels are as economical and cheaper to buy
- 4Performance, engine & driveThe Volvo S90 Recharge T8 delivers an impressive amount of power, but its size and weight blunt performance
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortThis is an area where the Volvo S90 Recharge T8 really excels. The interior is beautifully made, exquisitely detailed and supremely comfortable
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityFor a saloon, the Volvo S90 Recharge T8 hybrid feels very spacious, with an impressive 500 litres of boot space
- 7Reliability & safety rating - currently readingPeace of mind comes as standard in the Volvo S90 Recharge T8 hybrid, which is one of the safest cars in the world