Volkswagen ID.4 interior & comfort
Interior quality could be better, but the ID.4 is packed with the latest technology and is very well equipped
Similar to many of Volkswagen’s latest models, there aren’t many buttons in the cabin of the ID.4. Things like the air-conditioning are all controlled through the touchscreen on the dashboard or via touch-sensitive buttons.
But although this all looks neat and has a futuristic feel, it can add frustration when you’re driving. A tiny gear selector on the centre console and buttons on the steering wheel are the only 'real' controls in the car.
Volkswagen ID.4 dashboard
There are some signs of cost-cutting when it comes to materials used in some places, but generally the feel is of a well built and nicely designed cabin. The lack of buttons does have a plus point as it does look very modern inside.
The materials inside contrast with the screens and touch panels, though, as there are a few too many hard, scratchy plastic surfaces. It’s not unpleasant, but we'd expect better in a car with a price tag of around £40,000.
Equipment, options & accessories
The ID.4 First Edition is well equipped. In the cabin, it gets a 10-inch touchscreen sat-nav setup that includes Android Auto and wireless Apple CarPlay, as well as dual-zone climate control, a reversing camera, automatic emergency braking, lane-keeping assistance, adaptive cruise control and a digital dashboard. You also get a three-year subscription to the We Connect Plus service, which gives you access to the We Charge network’s 150,000 charging points at exclusive charging rates.
Following on from the introductory First Edition, the regular ID.4 range currently comprises the Life, Family and Max trim levels – all paired with the same Pro Performance drivetrain that comes with the First Edition; this features a 77kWh battery and 201bhp electric motor.
The Life features 30-colour ambient lighting, split-folding rear seats with a load-through hatch and centre armrest, a 10-inch touchscreen, a heated windscreen, heated front seats, a heated steering wheel and four USB ports. Family adds 19-inch alloy wheels, LED matrix headlamps, privacy glass, a large panoramic sunroof, tri-zone climate control, a luggage net, a rear-view camera, keyless entry and keyless start.
The range-topping Max benefits from a larger 12-inch infotainment system, an augmented reality head-up display, heated sports seats with integrated headrests, 12-way powered seat adjustment, remote boot unlocking and hands-free tailgate opening, adaptive dampers, progressive steering and a heat pump – the latter can be added as an option to the Life or Family models.
Infotainment, apps & sat nav
The interior is dominated by an infotainment system, which operates mostly from a large central touchscreen. We found the system to be less than intuitive, feeling a little clunky and complex – you may need to take some time to get to know it. There's also a smaller readout in front of the driver, while the augmented-reality head-up display on our test car was functional, offering overlaid stopping-distance and sat-nav information. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto work well on the screen, which is sharp, responsive and looks good.
In This Review
- 1VerdictVolkswagen's first electric family SUV is practical, spacious and great to drive
- 2Range, battery & chargingDecent range and rapid-charging capability mean the Volkswagen ID.4 is a practical electric car to own
- 3Running costsElectric power means fuel costs are low, and company-car tax rules mean the Volkswagen ID.4 is a very tempting business choice
- 4Electric motor, drive & performancePunchy electric motor delivers excellent performance and the ID.4 is relaxing to drive
- 5Interior & comfort - currently readingInterior quality could be better, but the ID.4 is packed with the latest technology and is very well equipped
- 6Practicality & boot spaceA roomy interior and big boot means the ID.4 is a practical family car
- 7Reliability & safetyIt’s early days yet, but long service intervals and the simplicity of electric-car technology hint at good reliability