Volkswagen ID.4 reliability & safety
It’s early days yet, but long service intervals and the simplicity of electric-car technology hint at good reliability
|Euro NCAP||Adult protection||Child protection||Safety assist|
|5 stars (2021)||93%||89%||85%|
The Volkswagen ID.4 is so new that it’s difficult to make any kind of definitive statement about reliability. We do know what the ownership experience is likely to be like, though, because of Volkswagen's track record in the Driver Power customer satisfaction survey.
The 2020 Driver Power poll found that Volkswagen owners weren’t all that happy with the experience, placing the brand 19th out of 30 manufacturers. VW has some way to go in that respect, although it mostly reflects experiences with VW’s combustion-engined cars.
Volkswagen ID.4 reliability & problems
The new MEB platform that the ID.4 sits on is very new and while we can’t predict how reliable it will be, electric car technology is already proving itself to be more reliable in general than traditional cars and vans. Long service intervals of two years show that the cars can go longer without mechanical inspection, which is promising news.
The ID.4 received the maximum five-star rating from the Euro NCAP crash-testing, scoring over 93% for adult occupants and 89% for children. Standard safety kit on the ID.4 Max and First Edition includes AEB, lane assist, adaptive cruise control, traffic sign recognition, speed assistance, tiredness detection, high-beam assist, swerving support in emergencies and front and rear parking sensors. WIth the First Edition also getting a reversing camera as standard.
In This Review
- 1VerdictVolkswagen's first electric family SUV is practical, spacious and great to drive
- 2Range, battery & chargingDecent range and rapid-charging capability mean the Volkswagen ID.4 is a practical electric car to own
- 3Running costsElectric power means fuel costs are low, and company-car tax rules mean the Volkswagen ID.4 is a very tempting business choice
- 4Electric motor, drive & performancePunchy electric motor delivers excellent performance and the ID.4 is relaxing to drive
- 5Interior & comfortInterior quality could be better, but the ID.4 is packed with the latest technology and is very well equipped
- 6Practicality & boot spaceA roomy interior and big boot means the ID.4 is a practical family car
- 7Reliability & safety - currently readingIt’s early days yet, but long service intervals and the simplicity of electric-car technology hint at good reliability