Volkswagen ID.4 reliability & safety rating
It’s early days yet, but long service intervals and the simplicity of electric-car technology hint at good reliability for the ID.4
|Euro NCAP||Adult protection||Child protection||Safety assist|
|5 stars (2021)||93%||89%||85%|
The Volkswagen ID.4 is so new that it’s difficult to make any kind of definitive statement about reliability. We do know how the ownership experience is likely to be, though, because of Volkswagen's track record in the Driver Power customer satisfaction survey.
The 2021 Driver Power poll found that Volkswagen owners weren’t all that happy with the experience, placing the brand 17th out of 29 manufacturers. VW has some way to go in that respect, although it mostly reflects experiences with VW’s combustion-engined cars.
Volkswagen ID.4 reliability & problems
The 'MEB' platform that the ID.4 sits on is still quite new and while we can’t predict how reliable it'll be in the long term, electric-car technology is already proving itself to be more reliable in general than traditional cars and vans. Long service intervals of two years show that the cars can go longer without mechanical inspection, which is promising news.
The ID.4 received the maximum five-star rating in Euro NCAP crash-testing, scoring over 93% for adult occupants and 89% for children. Standard safety kit on the ID.4 is comprehensive and includes Volkswagen’s ‘Front Assist’ active emergency braking, lane-keeping assistance, adaptive cruise control, traffic-sign recognition, tiredness detection, swerving support in emergencies and front and rear parking sensors, as well as a reversing camera. High-spec models further increase safety with even more safety assistance features.
In This Review
- 1VerdictVolkswagen's first electric family SUV is practical, spacious, good value and great to drive
- 2Range, battery & chargingDecent range and rapid-charging capability mean the Volkswagen ID.4 is a practical electric car to own
- 3Running costs & insuranceElectric power means fuel costs are low, and company-car tax rules mean the Volkswagen ID.4 is a very tempting business choice
- 4Performance, motor & drivePunchy electric motors deliver mostly excellent performance, but the ID.4 can be very relaxing to drive, too
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortInterior quality could be better, but the ID.4 is packed with the latest technology and is very well equipped
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityA roomy interior and big boot means the ID.4 is a practical family car
- 7Reliability & safety rating - currently readingIt’s early days yet, but long service intervals and the simplicity of electric-car technology hint at good reliability for the ID.4