Suzuki Swace hybrid reliability & safety rating
There's no official data yet, but the Swace's Toyota roots give some very encouraging clues
The Swace is quite unlike other brand-new cars, because we've technically already got some data on how reliable it's likely to be. Similarly, Euro NCAP hasn't crash-tested the Swace specifically, but again, it's possible to look at the Toyota Corolla's scores to get a good enough idea.
Suzuki Swace hybrid reliability & problems
There's no data for the Swace from the annual Driver Power customer satisfaction survey, but the Corolla – with which it shares all but badging – finished in a strong seventh place in the 2020 edition. This score was bolstered by a very low rate of reported faults – and we've no reason to believe the Suzuki will fare differently.
The Swace doesn't have an official Euro NCAP crash-test score, but its Toyota Corolla twin performed admirably when it was tested in 2019, with a 95% score for adult protection and 84% for child occupants.
The Corola's 77% score for safety assistance would most likely be shared with the Swace, too – the Suzuki comes as standard with systems including traffic-sign recognition and adaptive cruise control, while top-spec SZ5 adds blind-spot monitoring and rear-cross traffic alert.
In This Review
- 1VerdictA Toyota Corolla Touring Sports with a different badge, less equipment and a lower price – the Swace is an interesting choice, if not an exciting one
- 2MPG & CO2 emissionsThe Swace offers familiar fuel economy from a familiar engine, but a plug-in hybrid will still serve company-car buyers better
- 3Running costs & insuranceThe Swace is good for company-car users and private buyers alike – but it's now worth considering a car with a plug
- 4Performance, engine & driveThe Suzuki Swace is as good to drive as its Toyota counterpart, but lacks power and driving fun
- 5Interior, dashboard & comfortThe Swace is identical inside to the Toyota Corolla Touring Sports, albeit with a bit less kit
- 6Boot space, seating & practicalityThe Swace is spacious, practical and comfortable overall – but some internal-combustion-engined rivals have even more room
- 7Reliability & safety rating - currently readingThere's no official data yet, but the Swace's Toyota roots give some very encouraging clues